Rx 580 support in Linux

Is it possible that Arch Linux or Fedora DOESN’T share such an asinine problem as this screen stuttering and tearing issue on my hardware?

So does anyone have any other suggestions? Sincerely, I’m trying not to give up here. I’ve put my rx 580 for sale on amazon for under 400 bucks, so either way I’m getting read to buy a gtx 1070 or gtx 1080 depending on my patience level versus the day it sales versus how close Black Friday ends up being after the sale.

Not sure what’s causing your problem. I think its gotta be something else.

For reference, I’m using ubuntu Mate 17.04, Mate desktop; with the compton GPU compositor and I don’t have screen tearing.

Rest of my hardware specs are in my profile.

Screenshot at 2017-08-08 00-02-03

GPU is R9 Fury.

Our systems are almost identical.

Ubuntu and amdgpu is old. I run fedora so by default im in kernel 4.11 and amdgpu is semi up to date.

Yes…

I would not use stock ubuntu for now until they fully transitioned to gnome tbh. Try and install the latest Ubuntu Mate or Linux mint.

Then use (you have to install it first) ukuu application to update to kernel 4.12.x (try the latest stable - not red)

Instructions here: https://fossbytes.com/install-upgrade-linux-kernel-ubuntu-mint-ukuu/

Then add this PPA for the latest MESA driver.

https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa/

Thus you will have the driver and keep thing updated always through the manager.

It should be fine in terms of tearing on both Mate or Mint.

Ok. I’ll try the mate desktop and just install Linux Mint 18.2 . And let ya know.

In terms of both mate or mint? Mint is a distro while mate is a desktop…soooo did you mean to say " it will be fine be it mint or ubunt? Or it will be fine regardless of th desktop I’d choose?

Sounds good thanks. Are there any specific install instructions or tweaking instructions to ensure things finally just work right to prevent screen tearing and stuttering? Looked all over the web yesterday but didn’t find anything concrete from someone with an AMD vid card and fedora 26 or latest Arch that explained such instructions and/or settings adjustments or particular programs to install.

Pardon me but must I use uuku to install/upgrade the newest kernel in Mint? Unless there was something I was misunderstanding, I’m able to already do that via Mints own update program included with 18.2 ( although I’m curious as to why 4.8 still shows active after I upgraded that kernel to 4.12). Regardless, if uuku is a better way to upgrade the kernel, I’ll happily use it.

Well kernel 4.10 has 580 support in AMDGPU but 4.11 has the full release driver. Mint is a pile of crap unless you upgrade the kernel from whatever outdated thing they always have… Is it still 4.4? Or did they go to 4.6 finally? Literally just go use ubuntu cinnamon you’ll be better off.

I figured I’d be fine with Mint 18.2 cinnamon, but nope. Screen stuttering and tearing. That’s why I’m on here these recent days…looking for ideas I haven’t tried yet.

Ubuntu 17.04 of any variant, though I recommend XFCE or Mate, OpenSuse, and if you’re feeling frisky antergos.

As Aremis puts it here:

Though I’d personally put it more subtly. Anyway, my tactic has always been trying out different distributions until I find something that has the least problems to start with, and go from there. This I find to be a more efficient approach than choosing something someone says is beginner friendly or something. When everything on Mint 18.2 is made to mingle with the 4.4.x kernel and LTS versions of programs, and you suddenly introduce a much newer kernel and configurations designed for a much more up to date system, you are going to run into problems. I recommend trying out distributions which are more up to date by default - Manjaro for instance.

2 Likes

Na, they have 4.12.something, and that is the Kernel( at least I think ) I’ve ran for a good month now. I’ve had the least amount of problems from Mint over the past 7 years( but screen tearing and stuttering from every distro I’ve tried except when using Nvidia cards) it’s just luck of the draw for me

Well they also split off their own kernel so they could have stripped AMDGPU and used PRO for some reason.

They’re idiots. I beg you to use anything else.

Oh I’m definitely not against trying something else. I love the idea that Arch Linux is made with" you basically finish building the medium-grade functionality and esthetics of the home upon the frame" in mind, but I’ve failed in the past to make it user friendly at all. I’d love to use ARCH if I could get it as user friendly as Mint and without the screen stuttering and tearing nonsense and allow me to use my g1 through g6 keys in my Logitech 710+ keyboard and a few of the side buttons on my g600 mouse. That is my holy Grail accomplishment …if it can ever be done.

I can help you with the macro keys.

I am talking about the distro ¨Ubuntu Mate¨

I am referring to ukuu since it has the latest kernels while the Mint update manager has only the latest ubuntu kernels. But if 4.12 is in the manager already it should be fine.

Check if you are actually loading with the 4.12 kernel. The old kernels still remain in the system for safety. If sth goes wrong with the new kernel you can use them and remove the problematic one. Grub should be choosing the latest by default but if 4.8 shows as active then the 4.12 might not be loaded. Restart, use advanced options in grub and boot to the 4.12 one to be sure…

And update to the latest stable mesa drivers from the PPA as well.

I thought a Linux Kernel was just a linux Kernel. Hehe. This is yet another thing I just learned. I have a long way to go. :D, I did the " uname -r" command in terminal and it said 4.12, but I suppose I shouldn’t assume that the distro is using ONLY that kernel?

I’m not sure how to use advanced options in grub to boot to 4.12, but for now I"ll look it up and check back if needs be.