RX 460 died?

Hello all,

I was gaming for about half the day yesterday using my RX 460, put the PC to sleep for a couple hours while I did something else, but when I came back to it, there was no display being shown.

I attempted to re-seat the GPU in both my PCI-E slots, but neither worked. I then saw that the fans weren’t spinning (even on start up), and it was not being show in device manager.

Can anyone help me understand whether it’s my PCI-E slots not working/ receiving power - (the PC runs fine and is on integrated graphics at the moment), or my GPU itself has broken?

If it’s my GPU I am totally baffled as I wasn’t even in the room to mess around with it and cause some sort of havoc.

(I’m still on win7, and I wasn’t getting any particularly high temps, or anything out of the ordinary the entire day beforehand.)

Thanks!

1 Like

Very strange.
Can you test the GPU in another system or have another GPU to test in yours?

Unfortunately not. I don’t know anyone else who is into PC gaming, (in real life anyway), and I have no other GPU around. I guess I might have to bite the bullet and buy a cheap one to test and maybe replace this one.

Does the card also get an power source from the psu?
Or does it only run on pci-e slot power?

It’s a really low power card so it gets all its power straight from the PCI-E slot. No additional cables from the PSU are needed.

What you could try to do is do a full cmos reset and see if that has any effect.

• disconnect the system from wall power.
  • take out the bios battery on the motherboard for a few seconds.
  • install the card in the first slot.
  • put the battery back.
  • connect wall power again, and see if it then works again with monitor conected to the card.

If it doesnt work, then connect the monitor to the onboard video port of the mobo.
Then go into the bios and dig trought the settings.
Sometimes you need to set the video output source manually in the bios.

NOTE: wenn you did a full cmos reset, dont forget to re-set date and time etc.
Because all those settings will be lost and set back to factory defaults!.

what cpu do you have? can you boot up?

Yeah igpu seems to work fine i guess according to his post.
So its either the card died, or the bios went bonkers.

thinking could also be something wrong with the motherboard pci e slot, or power delivery.

Yeah could also be the case of course.
But then he could test the slot with a different card.

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

I cleared the CMOS successfully, but unfortunately I have still had no luck in getting the card to power up. I confirmed in BIOS that the PCI-E slot I have it in, should be functioning properly and the display should be coming from there.

I can’t tell whether it is my eyes or not, but I feel like when I start the PC sometimes the fans on the GPU move just a tiny bit, as if they are close to receiving power. (If that makes any sense!) Could it be some soldering on the PCB that has broken? Is that likely at all?

It could be that one of the vrm’s on the card has burned out.
But then you would have to take the card appart and check for physical burnmarks arround the several vrm’s that are on the card.
But that will ofcourse void your warrenty, so i would personally not do that if you still have warrenty.

It would have been nice if you had a second system arround to test the card in.

Or give it the smell test. If it smells different than the system, it is probably FUBAR.

I bought the card from ebay about a year ago, so I’m not sure whether the warranty carries over or not. Smells exactly the same to me, and I didn’t notice any burning smell or anything out of the ordinary when I discovered it wasn’t working.

You dont have any friends which you could test your card in their systems?
Because if it doesnt work in another system either, then its most likelly dead.

I wish I did, but unfortunately not. Do you have any idea what the potential causes of the failure might be? If I can’t salvage it, I’d like to at least learn something about why it’s died.

Not to put a potential downer on your situation. I have had a card randomly suddenly I’m the same circumstances. I tried all of the suggestions and there is no sign of damage.

Sometimes things happen for seemingly no reason.

I hope it does all work out for you though.