Running Proxmox inside Docker on Kubernetes

So, strange question and probably not a good idea but I want to know. Has anyone tried so take a debian docker container, install Proxmox as a package within kubernetes.

Im just starting to learn about Kubernetes and wishing I could move some annoying windows apps into containers. I know this would probably be slow but curious if it would work.

Any thoughts?

Proxmox ships and requires a modified Linux kernel.

Because this sits above Docker in the system privilege heriarchy, Proxmox can’t properly be run inside a Docker container.

ZFS is also one of Proxmox’s important features. While it can be run in virtual environments for testing and development, production best practice is to give ZFS access to raw disk devices and let software interact with the robust volume manager and snapshot system.

The opposite of what you’re suggesting is a common production pattern, though.

Proxmox on bare metal and minimal KVM virtual machines running Kubernetes. This gives your system redundency at two levels, using k8s pod management for containers, and physical hardware failover for your virtual machines at the Proxmox level.

1 Like

You would need to run the containers in privileged mode. This somewhat breaks isolation, but will allow the container to load additional kernel modules. Theoretically it should work then. Better to do it the other way around and have your kubernetes nodes in proxmox VMs. Then you can create Windows and Linux VMs on proxmox to be able to run windows and linux containers in kubernetes.