Running Destiny 2 in wine = ban

I mean can’t you just simply add the custom parameters in QEMU to hide it, making it work?

Not easily from what I see.

Looking at a few discussions it is entirely up to the developer whether they care about detecting it or not, generally depends on how competitive it is. After that if they do detect it it depends how much they want to pursue it. In the case of CS:GO they will chase it to the end of the games effective life.

As to finding out if they do check for itnor not, you either trip the detection and it bans you, or you ask the developer and they tell you or they don’t.

But this is all out of the scope of the intended use of the game so they will certainly not be helpful to you finding out in the majority if cases.

I see, do you know any other games that aren’t VM friendly?

No, that’s the only one I know off hand, I don’t run a VM let alone games in them but expect any prize worthy competitive game to have some mitigation.

@wendell @Starlord any updates yet?

I wish more people would file small claims suits over things like this.

On what grounds? This is not the games intended use and pretty sure it breaks the EULA in some way.

1 Like

Breach of contract via negligent misrepresentation, for starters.

The EULA is only valid if it doesn’t infringe on other legally protected rights, and access to products and services you pay for is generally regarded as a right.

I’m not saying game companies shouldn’t be allowed to ban people, but I think a case could be made that:

• Overly sensitive anti-cheat mechanisms,
  • That trigger when used with well-known software
  • Coupled with unresponsive customer support
  • And lack of refunds

Create an environment where people who are in no way cheating, disrupting others, interfering with the operation of the game, or otherwise violating the EULA are being denied access to game licenses they purchased without compensation.

They could say “yup, can’t use Wine, sorry we didn’t tell you, here’s a refund”. No harm done.

They could say “Yep, we see you’re using Wine, we know that triggers things sometimes, sorry about that, your account’s active again.”

They could say “Using anything but Windows is a bannable offense.” in the EULA, or better, refuse to make the sale if they don’t detect Windows.

But they don’t do any of that. Their lack of diligence is negligent, and people are losing money because of it.

2 Likes

I was playing Destiny 2 just the other day and i wasn’t banned. Granted I didn’t get very far cause the game froze on me. But I was able to play it for at least a good hour.

I’ve been too busy with work. But things started slowing down a bit so I filed a BBB complaint as well as sent off a formal letter. I’m waiting till the 28th to hear back on the BBB complaint.

Yalls could use a VM I guess. Looking glass?

buy me an extra GPU and I’ll get a PO box for you to ship it to

I will drive you a 9800GT personally.

GTX 660 is the minimum requirement for destiny 2

Nah use your current gpu and use 9800 as host

no

Don’t be a berd

yeah I have 2 giant 4k displays. Looking glass is beyond my reach currently