Running actual applications through WSL?

Through the all too familiar reasoning of “Because I can”, I installed the Windows Subsystem for Linux with XFCE running through VcXsrv. Trying to run Chromium or the default web browser results in this

Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory` Assertion 'pthread_mutex_unlock(&m->mutex) == 0' failed at pulsecore/mutex-posix.c:108, function pa_mutex_unlock(). Aborting. Assertion 'pthread_mutex_unlock(&m->mutex) == 0' failed at pulsecore/mutex-posix.c:108, function pa_mutex_unlock(). Aborting. Aborted (core dumped)

Being a person that routinely gets in over my head, I can’t even begin to assume what this actually means.

So my question is whether or not this is something that can be messed with and made to work or if any attempt is futile due to how WSL is implemented?

Part of it may depend on which distro/version you are running. Ubuntu alone has had 3-4 releases on WSL.

I personally played with it for a little, I got blockout2 running in a window as a proof of concept (no DE installed, just xorg and windows x server).

So it is definitely posible to get graphical applications running. Try playing around with it more, and look at guides to see if there is config you missed.

Maybe this would help?-
https://solarianprogrammer.com/2017/04/16/windows-susbsystem-for-linux-xfce-4/

1 Like

That’s actually what I used to get it up and running. Can confirm that Firefox does work.

I figured I’d start on here in case someone else has done the same but i will do some looking around