[RUMOUR] Borderlands 3 to be EPIC exclusive

The article said

will indeed be releasing on September 13th for all platforms - but will be distributed exclusively on the PC digital platform via the EPIC Games Store. Other storefronts will have to wait until April 2020 to sell copies of the game.

This implies to me, September 2019 for all Platforms, but only Epic on PC and April 2020 for All other PC stores…

1 Like

More time for the ghost of Totalbiscuit to haunt Tim Sweeney. (I wish that was a joke, but I kinda want that to be true)

2 Likes

The question really is, who did/wanted what here. Did Gearbox WANT to make an Epic exclusive (maybe because of funding?) or did Epic talk Gearbox into doing an exclusive?

I won’t blame Epic for actually signing exclusives when the Studio approaches them. Actively going after games though is a different story.

You know what makes me sad most of all?
GOG, an actual Steam competition, an actually good store with benefits for the used, barely scrapes by. I read an article somewhere, that GOG made like 8000$ profit last year just because they are fair and decent. On other hand EPIC kills it with exclusivity garbage. If GOG goes under, and EPIC survives, that will be extremely unfair…

1 Like

I don’t believe that. I think the 50 million Steam users are a market, that Gearbox wouldn’t want to just exclude… Epic probably thrown a lot of money their way. The game will sale fine… It will sale a few million copies on epic, of course… And then when it comes out on steam it will sell a few million more… So Gearbox will make more money at the end.

1 Like

To be fair, Epic is not a Storefront first. They are also a Developer and made most of their money on a Game before creating their store…

1 Like

Its only releasing September this year, the 6 months exclusive makes it April 2020.

1 Like

That doesn’t make the stuff any better…

No, i just wanted to state that the difference in revenue is not from their store. I doubt Epic is currently making big bucks on their store. They are probably subsidising it with fortnite.

All of that is true of Valve too with Steam. At one point the games making end was the leader and then they launched a store and now that makes the money. It is just a matter of time with EPIC so I don’t see it too differently.

As you say Fortnites store alone pretty much bankrolls EPIC as a whole right now.

Or to put it another way, they did not launch the store out of the goodness of their hearts, they know it will make hem considerable income later on.

1 Like

I wouldn’t bet on it being on GoG since Borderlands 1 and 2 aren’t and the only Borderland that is is the Telltale game.

Hopefully it is but it will likely launch on Steam later, either that or they are lying and it will never make it to Steam and if that’s the case I don’t think they should have my money if they can’t keep their word.

Idk, I think we need a bit of boycotting every now and then, otherwise that’s more grounds for big companies to screw everyone over.

I mean I am more worried about the fact that so many people lately normalize and attempt to rationalize it.

But yeah, there are people who will boycott a game for a stupid or petty reason and while they have a right to, it’s still a stupid reason.

Super pumped its gonna be exclusive Hope EPIC gets a few more biggens

1 Like

Meh the game looks average, more of the same. Ugly characters. There I said it. I spent far too much time playing Borderlands 2, gameplay was great. The meme laden story got old and was full of dumb plot holes.
I can wait. Not to mention that ghastly pre-sequel, voiced by all of the third rate Kath & Kim actors from Australia.

I don’t care that much what store it comes from, but i will be inconvenienced if it is on something other than steam, for this style of game. I tend to use the steamlink and play games designed for controllers on the couch when I can. I can add epic games as third party ones and they mostly work fine.

There are quite a few stores out there, gog, steam, humble, microsoft, crytvio, epic, origin, probably more. I guess competition is a good thing. The only way you are going to get ahead in a hurry in this space is do that Epic are doing.
Most of the time I browse steam, I just skip over hundreds of games I don’t want to play. I tend to learn of games I want to play from other sources. Maybe something good will come from the shake up.

1 Like

That’s what their fans want

1 Like

They are older now. It’s what they think they want. Maybe they can lure in new fans with the same tricks?

1 Like

Eh it’s a large replayability story game. It’s not like cod reskin or sports year x. There is a lot there if you like the series

2 Likes

Yeah I guess. They took their time pumping this one out, so maybe I will be wrong.

The idea is that it prompts more competition from things like GOG and steam to run more aggressive sales or do whatever to onboard users, though this kind of backend exclusivity has long had a death grip on the cable tv industry, so that’s been bad for consumers. Anyway, it makes no difference to me, at this point.