Rtx 2060 laptop gpu freezing

My nephew’s laptop is constantly freezing. I’m thinking it’s either RAM, Battery, AC Powder Adapter or GPU. Freezes in both linux mint and windows 11. I tried disabling the screen and using only external monitor. Laptop has a MUX and I tried both on and off.

Updated and reinstalled Nvidia Driver’s. Temperatures are perfectly fine, PC freezes when temperatures are below 60 C.

BIOS has been updated and freezing continues.

I just installed new RAM, Swapped Battery with another Legion 5 and have the laptop running on other Legion 5 AC power adapter.

Currently no freezing, I’m in linux mint and running Baldur’s Gate in OpenGL

The other laptop is running in the same condition with original battery.

Now the last thing I can consider is reinstalling both operating systems if it freezes again.

What commands in linux can you run to check RAM/GPU/ Power for freeze/crash related issues.

go into bios and look for high precision event timer/hpet
if its disabled, enable it. if it says 32/64 select 64 to match the o.s. bitrate.

if its already enabled in bios then it isnt a hardware clock dependency error. leave it and look for another issue.
i mention it because it can be the root cause of freezing if disabled.

I’ll double check, but I don’t recall seeing that option in the BIOS. I changed out the RAM and it’s been running the longest thus far. I’m just going to keep the system running for now to see if it’s the RAM.

1 Like

It’s definitely the GPU. The vega integrated gpu ran Mass Effect/DXVK for 24 hours. I’ve already updated the drivers on both Linux and Windows.

The only side note is I had wifi adapter disabled during the 24 hour run.

Would a re-installation of both OS’s have an impact?

My gut feeling is some mods my nephew installed on windows corrupted the rtx 2060’s vram or the gpu is just going bad.

But the issue was happening on both Linux and windows. If I wipe both hard drives and do fresh installs of both OS would they’re be a good chance the gpu will work?

I wouldn’t think a corrupted install of windows on a separate hard drive could impact a gpu in linux,

Note: I changed ram and ran memtest86+, prime95 and heaven benchmark.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.