Router Suggestions

tbh I would not care about win10 because I only linux, but YMMV.

So you are saying these mesh routers will preform just as good(one device) specifically speaking about Wifi speeds and connectivity.

What do you think about these mesh routers? Any suggestions?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/deco-x20/

Reviewers say, “yes”. In my experience, I get better, more reliable, faster, connectivity with my mesh router than I have ever achieved with traditional routers. That said, I have not benchmarked or tried to achieve super WiFi speeds. It just “feels good”.

As far as I know they should be fine. Both get high scores from reviewers. That said, you should probably look at independent reviews (if you have not already).

If you search Amazon for “wifi 6 mesh router” you will get a few more results.

I usually search Amazon and Walmart first, then NewEgg.

From my reading of reviews and specs, it appears that the Google and Amazon (Eero) mesh routers are the best value. They may also be the most popular, which has some value from the standpoint of long-term support (maybe).

My guess is that they are less expensive because both companies are famous for mining data from users. So they recoup some of their costs from selling info. Their products must work well, or they risk crushing their brands.

As I mentioned earlier, I use a VPN (and make sure that DNS queries go through the VPN). That way, there isn’t much that they can mine (from me).

Going strictly by brands, TP-Link has always been a “value” brand, and ASUS is more of a high-end brand. Both are reflected in their prices.

Almost everything I have ever bought from TP-Link has worked, and I have always been pleased with ASUS. I have mostly been happy with Linksys. Netgear is another “quality” brand (I carry an old Nighthawk when I travel that gives me excellent remote hotspot capability).

I don’t really have strong brand preferences among any of the brands we have discussed. I would expect all of them to work. I would expect to pay more for Netgear and ASUS; less for Google and Amazon (for similar quality). Netgear, Google, and Amazon are American companies. Probably most of these companies manufacture in China (except for ASUS which is Taiwanese).

That is about as much info as I have for you. Check reviews and make a guess… whatever you pick will probably work.

This is the router that I bought. It would be hard to beat the value for the money, although it is not WiFi 6.

PS: You will not find Google’s products on an Amazon search, of course. Try Walmart or Google.com.

PPS: Also, any of the routers mentioned in this thread (by you or others) will probably work. Worst case is that you might have to buy something else in a few years (as WiFi evolves). I tend to think of WiFi as a 2-3 year investment, which is why I went for cheap rather than top-notch. Sure, you might get a couple more years from a better router (or you might not).

CORRECTION: While Netgear has a decent reputation overall, it appears that some of their gear was found to have a backdoor a few years ago. This is the thing that we all fear most: backdoors to our networks. The products affected were made by Sercomm, which is a Taiwanese company (which manufactures some of its products in China). If we cannot trust American and Taiwanese network suppliers, then whom can we trust?

Thank you for all this information. I will look into googles and amazons versions.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I would like to buy something very soon

1 Like

Also the thing I do not like about some of these mesh routers is some only have 2 Ethernet ports.

That’s what switches are for.

ya but trying to keep costs and devices down. also trying to keep it simple.

Unmanaged gigabit switches are inexpensive. You will spend more on cables.

Sure. Well, that depends on where your devices are. Now that you mention it, my router is as simple looking as can be, but it is connected to a switch that looks pretty industrial. :slight_smile:

I suppose the alternative is an industrial-looking router. Shrug…

Thanks for all the help. Seems like I will be going with Eero Pro 6, ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600, or TP-Link Deco X20

Happy to help. Any of those sound good to me. Let us know what you think after you try it.

You can probably do fine with thise, just make sure you update firmwares as WiFi vulnerability arises from time to time. If the manufacturer ends support of the device, make sure to just upgrade to a new hardware or try to flash OpenWRT or DD-WRT if the device is supported.

Spotted on Gizmodo:

https://gizmodo.com/this-is-the-cheapest-way-to-get-good-mesh-wifi-in-your-1847248491

Not WiFi 6, but $20 per node brings mesh wifi into the almost-anyone-can-afford-it category.

1 Like

Two wifi routers that you can flash OpenWRT on and support it well:
Wifi5 - Netgear R6220
Wifi6 - Belkin RT3200

1 Like