Rossmann: The best way to watch online video; my yearlong project is finally done!

Wow he really did it. A youtube app with blackjack and hookers

https://gitlab.futo.org/videostreaming/grayjay/-/tree/master

6 Likes

No webite?

Damn I really hope they get an iPhone app spun up

4 Likes

Paying for infra must be the bottleneck. Make a federated app and let people sort it out

1 Like

Makes sense I suppose. I never ever watch stuff on my Phone though, only desktop, so that’s a shame for me

5 Likes

No love for Nebula? xD

Joking aside this app seems neat.

I thoroughly enjoy healthy competition. :+1:

2 Likes

Ah yes the platform me and my creator friends “made”.

Jokes aside nothing is stopping people from making a nebula plugin

1 Like

I’m also in this situation.
Self-hostable web app would be the best :blush:

1 Like

There is one for Nebula! Here is all of the sources that either work now or soon.

3 Likes

With some of the others here. Maybe we’re not the target audience, but it seems kind of weird to have an app like this with local downloads, no tracking, etc and not have it be self-hostable / done through a browser in some way. Looks great though so I wanna keep my eye on it.

Tbf to them it is open source so if you wanted you could port it to whatever you wanted.

2 Likes

Tru ^^^

Tho searx exists, so I guess it isn’t as necessary.

Given the features and their vision of making it a way for creators to own their audiences, they could turn it into a website. Though video hosting is unsustainable.
He talked about the business model

Though it would be cool if we could make the infrastructure distributed, such if one person wants to preserve a youtuber’s videos or a creator wants to host people can view it like plex. To scale and handle demand, people can donate spare compute (to transcoding videos) or storage and seed it like a torrent

Looks like lbry is going down also… Shut down by SEC
https://odysee.com/@lbry:3f/theendoflbryinc:d

EEVBlog mentions FUTO could potentially pickup odyssey

1 Like

Same here, the adds on my phone make things unwatchable plus the small screen. I primarily use it for communication and satnav.

1 Like