Rocket League LINUX

just opened up steem on linux

I am so very happy to see this
https://www.neowin.net/news/rocket-league-coming-to-os-x-and-linux-this-week

im currently downloading it,

9 Likes

WooHoo! Linux and MacOS get Rocket League too. Will Linux and Mac be on the same servers as PC and Playstation? What's the deal with Xbone players?

I'm gonna post this here instead of starting a new thread.

Let's get ready to RUMBLE!

I have been playing A LOT of Rocket League lately. I am pretty bad at FPS games and I am good at driving games. It took a long time of dedicated practice before I got sorta good at RL. It was frustrating because I was thinking "Driving game... I got this." I had to change my mindset to "So this is that eSports I have heard so much about."

Today PSYONIX also released the RUMBLE mode arena and it's pretty good. Everyone has a 10 second countdown. When your timer hits zero, you earn a random power-up. Like a spring loaded boot, or a freeze ray, or a suction cup with a bungie cord. The physics of RL is already kind of hard to calculate on the fly (I took master degree level physics) and adding random changes to the momentum of the ball really makes it more fun. At first it was annoying, but the power-ups are well balanced and happen to both teams equally.

Magnet Mode

My favorite Rumble moment so far happened because I like to play defense or goalie. The other team shot on goal and it was definitely going to score. I could not stop the player or the ball. So I shot my freeze-ray at the ball and stopped it right at the mouth of the goal. Then I drove around behind it and knocked the frozen ball away.

2 Likes

Oh this is cool, I might pick it up.

Remember, if you want it to count as a Linux sale you must play it for the majority of time in Linux for the first two weeks.

1 Like

I completely forgot this is happening, but Im happy :)

1 Like

does anyone know if this was an internal port?
If its a port by another company?
How they've gone about it. is it native or a wrapper?
is it cross platform multiplayer or is it not compatible?
Any what's performance like?

Wow.... a year late.

I might take a look when it is cheap again.

£12 isn't cheap?

I didn't know it was on sale right now. But for a game that cost 20,- Euro about two years ago, 15,- Euro today in my mind actually is not really cheap, no. Especially considering that you then have a list of DLC in front of you that is still close to 30,- Euro when it is on sale....

Tek Syndicate Forum is now officially back!
Be afraid LTT....Be very afraid:)

PS...Thanks for the info....awesome thread

All of the DLC in Rocket League is purely cosmetic. The game is 100% not and never will be pay to win. I bought a $6 bundle with 2 cars because I wanted some more paint options, metallics, pearls, that kind of stuff. I don't even like the cars, I just wanted the colors.

What I don't approve of is they also introduced a new Loot Crate DLC system. Random (useless) crates will drop from the ceiling for players to "collect". The issue I have is PSYONIX will then make you pay for the key to open your mystery gift. Who would get a crate and never pay to open it? That would drive me crazy. They know that eventually I am going to break down and pay $2, only to find out that I "won" purple smoke for my tailpipe. Alternately, who will play the game and avoid picking up a crate because they may be tempted to "buy" it one day?

Is that genius or insidious? IDK

1 Like

As far as I know it is internal I think there is word s of a Mac port too.

Not sure about the multiplayer in the beta but the Win release is fully cross platform. Win, Ps4, Xbone so I would be pretty sure the linux and Mac versions will be cross platform too.

Its already out also.

1 Like

I have had Rocket League for a while but I never fully explored every option and menu until this week. The neat thing I discovered (that you all probably knew about) is Inventory Management Roulette.

After every match one earns a little reward. A hat, a flag, a decal, etc. There is a screen where you can take 5 junky items, spin the digital wheels and the game gives you 1 better item. As most of the rewards are junk (to your personal taste) it is a fun way to clean out the trash for a chance at something good.

I got a pair of cat ears that I love! But the next time I got a horrible decal of a guys ripped abs, WTF!

2 Likes

I'm playing it and it seems it didnt transfer my car from the windows version... Oh well it must still be beta right?

@Zibob Working fine for me

1 Like

About port:

Source. https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/rocket-league-thoughts-on-linux-initial-port-report-its-also-25-off-right-now.8033

Note; I did not read the article completely, so you may or maynot find your other questions answered there. :p

Honestly the greatest thing about gaming in Linux is being able to alt-tab out of games and not have the system hang itself. and multiple desktops

1 Like

Hardware requirements are less than windows, some saying it is faster for them on Linux than on windows. Supports multi monitor & high refresh fine.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/rocket-league-thoughts-on-linux-initial-port-report-its-also-25-off-right-now.8033#comments

JOIN USSSSSS!!!

From reading around it was possibly by Timo from ID, but he left ID a while ago.

Yes finally i can bring all my Linux friends that do not dual boot to the cult....