Riot.im vs Mattermost?

Hey guys,
I was just wondering what people here thought about Riot.im vs Mattermost?
I am looking to self-host a slack alternative for my team and I am trying to decide between both.
Another thing I am looking for is an open-source secure Zoom alternative for web conferencing and I was wondering whether Riot can do this or if there’s something else on the matrix protocol that can do this?

Thanks!

I’ve self hosted some pretty large Riot servers for a couple years and like it. However if you are not comfortable troubleshooting issues in Linux or using CLI SQL I would avoid it all together. Unless you just want to use their payed online service.

I’d advise to read through this AMA, i listed some of my complaints and questions to the developers there.

As far as conferencing, I don’t know of any solution that accomplishes this in any meaningful way outside of dedicated conferencing software.

If you have any questions about matrix/riot I’d be glad to answer.

I do believe this software fills the niche of an open source/encrypted and self hosted option for maximum security. It also has calling built in but I’ve yet to test it.

1 Like

Well I am actually planning to hire someone to maintain a private server on a daily basis since I am also looking to host multiple other open source solutions like Taiga, vTiger, Nextcloud etc. Figured if I am using multiple open-source solutions that would be most efficient.

I’m in favor of Riot.im, or more specifically, anything built on Matrix.

Mattermost began as an independent project, and was acquired by GitLab. Gitlab’s a good player in the open source world, but… They also acquired Gitter, which does almost exactly the same thing.

Because they have two products that do effectively the same thing, I suspect one of them will be killed or merged going forward to reduce duplication of effort.

My hunch is that Mattermost will be dropped to focus on Gitter, which is a bit more developer centric, allows them to capture some GitHub mindshare, and fits better with their product goals.

But… there’s other stuff that Matrix has in favor of it, even ignoring GitLab.

The biggest is that Matrix is federated. The second most prominent is that the standard for Matrix is both documented and public.

Another thing I am looking for is an open-source secure Zoom alternative for web conferencing

Jitsi Meet

Source code: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet
Frontend: https://meet.jit.si/

1 Like

I just found out about this: https://nextcloud.com/talk/
Anyone has thoughts about it?
FYI I am already using NextCloud so was wondering…

Being a security-first person, I have a preference for Riot because it uses Matrix which has sound cryptography based on a double-ratchet protocol derived from the Signal protocol. These implementations have been reviewed by NCC, a trustworthy security firm.

Ironically, most devs I know have zero intention of using of Gitter and my experiences trying to use it to contact developers of open source projects matches that, because nobody uses it and then I hop on the Slack/IRC and have responses in minutes.

2 Likes

I’m not sure those two are trying to solve the same problem.

It was my understanding that the purpose of mattermost was to be a slack replacement, and that there is some interoperability there.

Riot/matrix is a whole platform unto itself.

If you don’t care about slack or its features, riot is probably the obvious choice.

Well, I’ve never used Riot before, but here’s what I need in a nutshell. Let’s say I have a client called MetaCortex LLC. I want to be able to create a private channel within Riot called #MetaCortex that I can invite my client to so all my communication is in one place (team and clients). This client should not have access to any other channels in my workspace including #general etc. Would that be possible?

Also can I have voice/video calls with clients inside Riot and is this feature reliable?

Thanks.