Right 2 Repair Corner

oh it absolutely would be but I dont think thats a very prevalent culture in america as it once was. There are more than enough people content with just buying a new device. Theres a cultural element at play here

2 Likes

Is there genuinely a need to produce so many batteries in 50mA/h increments? How many batteries are effectively the same dimensions with the same chemistry and yet come with different keying or DRM to make it borderline impossible to make a phone functional with any other battery? Universal keying for polarity is good, solely for excluding other brands is not. Car batteries come in Group sizes and if you are in a jam you can often make slightly different battery sizes fit in other vehicles as long as the positive and negative terminals on on the correct sides.

I don’t keep up with the latest and greatest of anything so I may be behind the times, but having options for how high/low you charge/discharge a battery default in the OS would mitigate the battery problem for those who prefer to choose lifespan over charge capacity. I rarely let my phone charge to 100% and only had my battery drain completely when misplacing my phone. I’ve heard of apps that can do this but I feel like it should be a basic part of any OS to be able to control charging thresholds. Not R2R, but a basic function to avoid needing repair in the first place.

The fitment and purposely segmenting into absurdity is something that ticks me off about air filters. I get it that cars need different sizes in order to fit under the hood of a compact car. But house filters coming in 1/2" increments so the big box stores need to have 200 different sizes and they still don’t have what you want and can only find it from the manufacturer? That is outrageously anti-consumer.

I have been heavily interested in tiny houses for years, and never have I seen a tiny home that I couldn’t design a system that could work with 2" increments and far fewer long rectangles instead of common square filters. If I can do that in under 200 sq. ft. then there is no excuse on anything larger. It’s silly for stores to buy huge quantities of odd sizes that will never sell and even worse for the consumer who wants to pick a quality filter but can’t get one locally in the size they want. The manufacturers fit the case as tight as they can around the components to save three cents of steel and a dollar of labor to pass it off on the consumer to find their 20.5" by 24.75" filter with the filer media quality they desire. It’s often manufacturer only or custom with these oddball sizes. Big Tech and Big Oil making the headlines distracting people from all the other rackets like Big Filter!

As requested:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/the-lounge-2020-two-edition/179938/19075?u=iphicles

The latest from Dell is that they are introducing an alternative to the SODIMM that everyone has used for years.

I don’t know how to characterize this other than a transparently anti-consumer move. Whatever problem they will claim this solves, it creates even more.

I’m quite serious in my comment: I feel like these companies should have to pay for the incredible waste they produce with these devices.

2 Likes

I feel like this should be it’s own forum category, because it’s such a broad topic. Trying to fit general discussion, r2r legislation, hardware hacks and component level board repair into a single thread will inevitably end in chaos. Besides that, it would make the whole topic a lot easier to find.

1 Like

That would be a great idea but it needs to pick up a bit of pace first. If we can get it to do that. We can definitely justify its own category

We need everyone’s help to grow it though!

It would be amazing to have our own right to repair area. I feel like only maker forums have this.

2 Likes

Here’s my (attempt at a) contribution:
Electronics Repair Megathread

I mainly focussed on electronics and board repair, because that’s what I know best. I have a few projects in the working that I can post about, but my idea for that thread is for other people to get help if they want to fix their devices.

If we could get a few more people on board, a dedicated repair category might actually happen.

1 Like

Ahh yeah we are closer than I thought then.

@SgtAwesomesauce @Dynamic_Gravity @oO.o how much posting is needed to give it its own category and pin these megathreads to them?

1 Like

I’d say 5 threads a week.

Minimum

2 Likes

Likewise

1 Like

Now we know the requirement

Can we at least get a repair tag for now?

1 Like

Should have it already

1 Like

That electronics repair thread is in the DIY Corner which covers pretty much everything here except the legislation stuff and being angry at companies/government/world stuff. And we had a thread for that till a select few ruined it for everyone. I am the absolute worst at taking pictures, I really need to get better about that since I’m fixing things on a daily basis.

2 Likes

So my goal is to make this place more r2r friendly without a select few ruining it. and honestly I deplore the mentality of “ruining” something. Ultimately your love for something shouldnt be dictated by the sour apples. This might be a mini rant but I get tired of internet authorities on what is right wrong or correct or not correct or good or bad (not you but what ruined these types of threads in times past).

That said I kind of get a picture of what had happened. I dont really care much whos thread survives but given that almost all of this stuff is going to get entangled in legislation and legality and stuff (see honda case for example). It might be time for us to rebrand all of those sections under a name and each be a component of it. This thread can serve as the tech related politics involving it and we can push the schematics to whatever thread in the DIY corner or what not. Potentially other aspects can kind of branch out but the idea of a central right to repair thread under one envelope just seems more cohesive.

Bottom line is I want more of a r2r and DIY and maker area and less of a linux help desk. Dont get me wrong that stuff is cool but I would desire more fresh content. Content that honestly isnt always IT focused tbch. I suspect others might feel similarly. Kind of hope we see and attract more of that type of base here because the folk willing to try and do something like this are more productive on average :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Totally agree. I need to step up instead of just doing things in a vacuum. The whole reason I got into Linux and made my way here was because I like to DIY all the things. I’ve been repairing things since long before the term Right2Repair came along. I don’t mentally associate it with hands-on repairs unless there is some sort of DRM, and I rarely run into that issue, possibly because I naturally buy fixable things in the first place.

I can also easily see some people who might be willing to help not helping because the nomenclature of Right2Repair has political connotations. If someone is having issues with fixing something, it might be best to keep the repair stuff and the “What they are doing is anti-consumerist!” aspects a bit separated. A great many people just want to help and not get mired in that side of things, choosing to change things from the ground up and leaving the banter to others better suited to taking the fight to the top. “It takes all kinds” as they say.

2 Likes

System 76 doing gods work

thats true. Probably why these two things should be the seperation. Its a dirty thing but the politics has to happen if people want to keep fixing stuff. (at least publicly)

interesting perspective. I always wanted to know how well the term is latching with people. I wonder if its even catchy enough

This is good

1 Like

Suggestion: I change my thread to focus on the practical side of things and link to this thread for general discussion and legislation, because, quite fankly, I suck at politics.

2 Likes

Ayyy shout out to ford

gonna repost in garage but Fords making an initiative to 3DP stuff

2 Likes