Ribbon cable for usb breakout, will it work?

I am modding rockband/guitar hero guitars to work with pc via an arduino, pico pi to be exact.
Pico pi if I am reading the specs right uses usb 1.1, and it also uses micro usb
currently im running micro usb to usb a cable out a ready made hole in the guitar, however I want to put a usb c port on it in a better location, so im looking at micro usb breakout which is .30$ and usb c breakout with mountable pcb, which is about 3.00$, to replace cables long enough to work with this that are about 10$ each.

the easiest way to bridge the two breakouts is with some ribbon cable, however I have no idea if this would work over usb 1.1, I know it probably doesn’t have a chance in hell of working with 2.0+ but no clue if 1.1 would work, or if I require a sacrificial cable, I don’t really want to do that unless its required both for cost, and ease of working with it.

It will work fine. In order to preserve data integrity with longer runs, you would want to have the data wires twisted, at least 9 full turns per foot without shielding. For shorter runs it probably won’t make much of a difference. It’s also good to have more than sufficient conductor size, particularly for power. You could also add your own shielding, either to the wires or the area inside the guitar. I’ve done this with either spray adhesive and foil or aluminum HVAC tape. Chances are you can get it to work without needing any of that, but if you experience any intermittent issues those fixes should clear it up.

I usually just save USB cords from old mice, keyboards, or USB chargers for short runs of wire inside of projects instead of buying new. Of course some are only 2 conductor, woefully undersized conductors, or unshielded. It’s usually pretty easy to source something serviceable locally.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.