[Resolved]Using Hawaii GPU on Linux

Anyone else having to set radeon.dpm=0 for kernel parameters to prevent their system from hanging with an AMD R9 390?

UPDATE 05/02/16
Finally got around to applying that powerfix script that @anon63470048 provided. And it works like a charm. If anyone has an issue with their 290(x)/390(x) GPU's hanging on Linux with the opensource MESA drivers, please apply this powerstate change and your issue should be resolved. Gonna work on getting this info put into the wiki.

To anyone in the future reading this, here is the pastebin source.

And as a failsafe. here is the essiantial code that fixes the issue. Must be run as root, make run at bootup.

echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level
echo performance > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state
1 Like

Running a r9 290. Didn't have to change that.

What drivers?

I always run Binary AMD Catalyst drivers installed using the installer from the AMD driver page. Never had an issue with them.

I'd look into using AMDGPU. I've heard some good things from people using it.

Often in arch you have to do things like this for wine and stuff but not for normal use.

MSI R9 390
I did not have these issues with the catalyst drivers,, but the open source ones. And this issues appears on any distro running a 3.16+ kernel.

I get a ring 0 / ring 1 stalled for xxxxx ms. Looked it up and it was an issue with dpm. I don't really care for gaming on linux but I use i for work and often I would have to reboot my system because this issue causes it to hang.

Just did a temporary boot kernel parameter and the first day that my computer did not get hung.

I just wanted to see if the issue was persistent with the Hawaii line in general, or just the 300 line. I gave my 290 to my gf for her rig and too my knowledge she doesn't have these issues. But I have flashed it with newer firmware because of an issue way back in the day blah blah.

But anyway my issue was fixed. I just wanted to have an open discussion to see if I'm not the only one with whack-ass issues.

Thats a kernel issue if you're not up to date.

was using the stable 4.5 kernel

1 Like

alright, what distro are you using?

Oh, well, huh.

Well you got me. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I was using the latest version of Debian (Jessie) using the open-source AMD drivers. Issue did not exist with the proprietary drivers. GPU was MSI R9 390. AFAIK they have not released any BIOS updates. I had to disable DPM at boot time with kernel parameters. If you do a google search, you'll find the issue happens a lot with other people with likewise specs and GPU. And when they disabled DPM their system would stop hanging at random. If you'd love to do any further digging please do.

Since then I just switched over to Fedora 23. And the same issue was persistent with DPM so i had to turn that off as well.

TLDR; I fixed my issue, I just had to change the kernel parameters and then it worked fine.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had the same problems as me, so we could discuss everything we've tried.

@FaunCB thanks :D

1 Like

The AUTO states for 290/390/290x/390x cards are broken (and maybe others). Use anything BUT 'auto' states for powerstate and performance settings.

I have been living with this problem for the longest time, It felt like I was the ONLY user on the planet who attempted to run a 290x or 390x on Linux. NOW everyone is feeling the pain! excellent!

PS. Don't use FGLRX please. I talk about this & powerstate issues in 3 other recent threads btw.

PS2. NO you don't need to disable DPM (doing so will result in ugly results) to correct the broken powerstate issues, I'll tell you how if anyone cares anymore, special magic sauce commands!

yeah dude definitely let me know. pm me or link to your thread pl0x :D

I'll see what I can do, I just got home after working on my card all day and am a bit tired.

Refer to "Ubuntu MSI R9 390 Help" thread.

PS. I recently got back my replacement 390x and this powerstate issue doesn't occur, so it does seem to be dependent on the card as well, perhaps some have a hardware fault? who knows. My new one will probably still crash when running 3d games without this powerstate fix however.

1 Like