Requesting: Advice for building a HomeLab with enterprise or commercial parts

The Problem I Have:

I have been trying to explore building or changing my computer setup for self-hosting purposes. However a surplus of various parts and a difficulty part economy has me hesitant on whether to invest in additional hardware or work with the old equipment I possess.

I came to an unexpected windfall when looking for storage devices and ended up in possession of used enterprise level server equipment from the recycling depot.

The Hardware:

CPUs:
AMD EPYC 9454 (SP5 Socket)
Intel Xeon Gold 5411N (LGA 4677 Socket) [1 Socket Config]
Intel Xeon 5418Y (LGA 4677 Socket) [1-2 Socket Config]

Motherboards:
Super Micro X13DDW-A-P LGA 4677
Super Micro X13SCH-SYS-P LGA 1700

RAM:
*1 - 32GB of ECC RDIMM DDR5

I have cases, blades or racks for these proprietary boards. Great hardware but considering the current prices of ECC RDIMM RAM…. ($$$)
So that brings me to today and what I want to achieve within the next few years.

Measureable Goals:

  • Configure a streaming setup for old media I have
    • DVDs mostly right now but planning to RIP in a digital server for local viewing
  • Torrent Server (I serve Linux ISOs)
  • Pihole Server
  • Backup Server (Configured on an ITX machine)
  • AssemblyLine Instance
    • I have an interest in Data Forensics
  • HomeAssistant Instance
  • CCTV with Raspberry Pi Cameras

Out of everything I have listed, I have only managed to configure a basic backup server setup to date. My goals indicate I have a strong focus on data preservation and career development into cybersecurity which leads to the following questions:

  1. Is this enterprise level hardware overkill for my purposes?
  2. Should I aim to get a dual-cpu config?
  3. With the wide variety of CPUs in the used marlketplace, would I be better off selling these enterpise component for consumer parts (Storage and DDR4 pains)
  4. If I end adding virtualization to my planned goals in the future, are there things i should plan for?
  5. Unlike used PC parts, enterprise parts are far more incompatible. Is there value in me holding on to these as the next generations of hardware continue to release? Have I already missed the next server refresh cycle? (I see almost none used locally)
  6. Do consumer PSUs work with these motherboards or do I need to go out to get the Enterprise Grade ones? (Use Corsair 750 as an example)

Thank you for your time reading this.

As you are trying to explore, I would start slowly by getting one system up and running.
Use what you have and try to borrow before buying.

Choose one CPU and get a system up and running. I would not combine a consumer PSU and server motherboard, but I think Super Micro uses the power standard, so you should be good here.
One stick of RAM is a bit sucky, but it should work; it probably won’t give you its full potential.
Get a small SSA for the OS and bigger ones for the container/VM data.

Install something like Proxmox and just play with some containers and VMs.
On community-scripts.org, you will find plenty of services you can deploy and test/play with.
The script will download and install the OS and service and set it up.
This saves you a lot of time manually deploying a VM/LXC.

Backing up is also easy, so you have a good restore or migrate path that you can also use in the future.

See what you like and need while using, and try to find that secondhand to add to your lab.

This is how my journey started.
I got 3 servers to originally wipe and sell but decided after some playing to keep them.
I now have some newer servers in my lab and still play around on 1 of the 3 servers.
The 2 others run in ‘production’ with Home Assistant, Pi-hole, Plex, etc., and are running 24/7

Welcome to Level1Techs!

  1. To achieve your goals you need hardware. The type of hardware is almost irrelevant. Not long ago I setup a three-node Proxmox cluster with quite similar workload you describe as your goals on three dual-core 6th gen Intel CPUs with a single stick of 16GB RAM each. Worked great, ~50W power consumption total, failover resilience, but ultimately storage limited (I wanted more space to host linux isos).
  2. To answer the question “Is this enterprise level hardware overkill?” I think you need to answer the question if this hw offers things you need/want but don’t get from more consumer-oriented hw. If the answer is no, you need to answer the question if you’re willing to pay the electricity bill for running enterprise hw which almost certainly is higher than consumer parts (at least if you select carefully).
  3. “Should I aim to get a dual-cpu config?” You should get it if you’re interested in learning the quirks of such a hw config. You almost certainly don’t need the failover capability between CPUs and the extra PCI lanes afforded by such a setup. I have a hard time understanding the benefit of a dual-cpu configuration in 2026 (up to 256 CPU cores per socket… 128 PCIe lanes… )
  4. “Virtualization” any Intel/AMD CPU in the last decade or more supports virtualization (I think same is true on the ARM front). There have been new advanced features deployed with every new hw gen, but these typically don’t apply in a homelab configuration. You mentioned interest in cybersecurity as a goal, so maybe you’re interested in how to configure secure compute features available in last get CPUs - read up on the features and see if they’re supported in your current setup. Decide if it is worth to you to upgrade to newer hw to “play around” with the latest virtualization features or if the opposite (sell enterprise gear in favor of hopefully cheaper consumer gear) offers advantages.
  5. "Is there value in me holding on to these as the next generations of hardware continue to release? " - Well, this is the key homelabber question. Are you chasing the latest gear you can afford? Or will you run your gear until truely noone can find any use for it anymore. This is a personality question. If you’re not actively chasing hw the default is the latter. Ask me how I know.
  6. “Do consumer PSUs work with these motherboards” Both mobos you list have standard ATX power connectors. Consumer PSUs will work assuming they’re properly sized for the hw they’re supposed to power (in general). I am not familiar with these boards specifically, but looking at the product pages I expect you to have a hard time fitting them into tower cases. Did they come with server chassis? How to you expect to run your hw? In the open on test benches? Server hw is typically designed to run in enclosed spaces with higher than consumer airflow requirements.