Request: 3D-printed fan bracket for low-profile expansion cards

Hi folks,

I have a few desktop systems configured as such: a full-height, full-length GPU in the primary slot; several low-profile expansion cards in the other slots. The problem is that these low-profile expansion cards are more typically found in servers that can provide proper, directed, high-volume airflow over them. They’re getting too hot in a traditional (mid)tower case with weak airflow, most of which gets sucked up by the GPU anyway.

What I’m looking for is a 3D-printed bracket that will mount to the expansion slot screws and allow for a case fan to be positioned over the low-profile cards, pushing air down onto them. It’s still far from ideal but I think it will be a considerable improvement. It would be great if there were a few different sizes, e.g. a three-slot-width bracket for an 80mm fan, a four-slot-width bracket for a 92mm fan, a five-slot-width bracket for a 120mm fan. (I have no idea if those measurements are correct, just spit-balling.)

Asus makes something similar to what I’m describing, but it’s huge and heavy, seems geared more towards mounting a fan over full-height cards, and also serves as an anti-sag bracket:

Here’s an old picture of one of my systems that hopefully demonstrates the issue:

I really need to get a fan pointed down at the SAS and 10GbE NIC controller heatsinks, nestled in-between the GPU in the first slot and the Thunderbolt AIC in the last slot.

Anyway, if you’ve made it this far thanks for reading. I’m hoping someone out there has had to deal with a similar issue and found a solution that might work for me too.

1 Like

Quick search bought this up:

If you got rid of the “slot cover”-part, it should do what you want.

Metal blade in a Fretsaw and 1 to 2mm Alu-sheet metal should also do the trick here :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Looks like a good start! Thank you!