Report: Nvidia Approached Arm About Acquisition

God help us all…

RISC-V is a neat science and social experiment, but outside that I really don’t see it becoming viable.

I hope to be wrong though, It’d be nice to get tons of different architectures back in the game.

2 Likes

You don’t say…

A company, that have pretty much destroyed everything they touched may not be good to touch you? Weird…

1 Like

?

They’re still the best GPU on the market by a huge margin.

If NVIDIA made a CPU too? Son. I’d burn down my city to get one.

Making massive profits, highest performance GPUs available to consumers, objectively superior software and drivers.

I think you’re confusing Shiva with Midas.

1 Like

But Midas killed everything he touched.

Crushing the competition != failing

If Nvidia wanted, they could’ve partnered with VIA and brought about a 3rd competitor into the x86 space if they wanted.

Doesn’t help that eighty-sixed means to get rid of :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You know what I mean =D

Arm Co-Founder: Nvidia Owning Arm Would Be a Disaster

See, even ARM’s Co-Founder thinks Nvidia owning them would be a bad idea.

His reasoning seems silly and is hidden behind a financial incentive. The British government has awarded him millions of dollars in the past, so yes he wants them to buy ARM so he can get on the board/consulting and keep getting paid.

You’re not fooling anyone, Hermann.

2 Likes

You’re making two mistakes in assumptions.

1. That the cofounder has a clue

2. That we care, even if he does have a clue.

What was Tegra?

1 Like

Remind me where is PhysX again? What is happening to Gsync? Remind me what will happen when DX12 ray tracing happens and RTX become the Gsync to the DXR Freesync? How about the Tegra stuff?
The only thing Nvidia is successful at is GPUs. Everything else they have tried to do has failed or is failing. Just like AMD failed with their Mantle API, but since it was open source other people made Vulkan out of it.

1 Like

Nvidia does to tech companies what EA does to game studios, at best.

2 Likes

maintaining supremacy, due to shit implementations of freesync.

Another shitty implementation that won’t fly. The whole thing about RTX is the AI denoising. Microsoft doesn’t have it in them to do that without specialized hardware, which they don’t control.

Seems to be chugging along nicely. That’s why they want arm, so they can bolster Tegra.

You picked and chose a bunch of arguments that bolstered your case and the only valid one is PhysX.

Now, to the counterpoint, How’s GPUOpen coming along?

How about AMD’s drivers, on windows or linux?

Bro, take the beer goggles off.

show, don’t tell.

3 Likes

woah, just read that tomshardware bit:

The great opportunity that the cash needs of Softbank presents is to bring ARM back home and take it public, with the support of the British government.

So, he wants to literally turn it into a state sponsored company. The only worse idea is to recycle ARM for it’s IP and patents.

1 Like

What does that have to do with Arm and Nvidia?

Meaning dying slow death because Freesinc is cheaper and more widely available? The fact they have dominant GPU market share and yet they had to open their walled garden to support Freesync said enough as to how “superior” it is. Purely technologically yes, it is superior. But that was never an argument. The fact is the implementation is what killed Gsync and it’s Nvidias fault.

Of course it will fly. Because it’s the same thing. Nvidias RTX technically uses DXR. They just have a bunch of other stuff on top. So when the lower performance intensive and widely spread option is available I don’t think RTX will last much longer.
I could be wrong since everyone stand against Gameworks and yet Nvidia keeps pushing Gameworks into games…

3 Likes