Replacing 3 X Hp dl380 g7 with single epyc system

Hey all, just looking for a sanity check on this idea. Currently have a set of three hp dl380 g7 servers all with dual x5650s and a mix of was spinning disks and SSDs. Looking to replace them to reduce noise slightly and power usage. Currently, they host a variety of VMs for my self and my dad. The majority of the VMs are on an iscsi target on your truenas box, so replicating storage to the new server would be not a huge deal. The idea is to replace those three with a single DIY server running an AMD EPYC 7551p in a super micro board. Would probably fit the new server with about 128gb of memory and a couple of SSDs but again most of the storage would be on the ISCSI target still. Basically looking to see if people think I am on the right track in thinking that the system in a 4u case would be quieter and use less power than the 3 HPs I currently have.

Yes you are. My systems run well below 100W idle. I do recommend consolidating storage in the new server on large capacity drives. This too saves on power. As a bonus you can use the iscsi device as target for offline backups.

If your budget can accommodate it I would go for a Rome (7002) processor as there is a big performance difference. I am running a 7402P (24 core), dual 1TB nvme, 10gb nic, 256GB ram and 4 16TB drives. Idle I am seeing around 65-70w.

I move a few services (Plex, Home Assistant) over to a N100 based mini-pc that draws under 10w idle. With Plex on the N100 I didn’t need a GPU for transcode which lowered my power usage.

I am going to be adding in 2 3.84TB u.2 drives which will probably bring my idle power up to 75-80w.

Good to know I am on the right track, Thanks! I will not be relocating the storage though. I like how it is set up now. Plus that storage is shared server is used for other things alongside being an iscsi target and I am so far pretty happy with it.

TBH I am mostly going for the 7551P as it’s the one I am seeing nice deals/combo deals on eBay for. I looked into the 24 core version as well but it is not much of a savings tbh. My main resource concern with this new server is memory, so I am not too too concerned with getting the utmost in performance, vs getting a good deal and having plenty of memory. Either way, it seam like I am on the right track for reducing noise and power.

1 Like