Replaced Radeon PRO with Radeon RX 6600XT on proxmox and now getting code43

Hi all,

Running proxmox VE 7.1-8 on a system76 thelio mira ASUS ROG STRIX Gaming x570e motherboard with a 5950 cpu.

I had this system working with 3 GPUs. Slot 1 and 2 with pci passthrough to a win10 and popOS VM, while console was displayed to the 3rd GPU, a 1X nvidia.

The slot 1 and 2 GPUs were radeon pro wx7100s.

I got a new radeon RX 6600 XT and put it in slot 1 (its a 2.5 height card) and got the VM to boot in 800x600. Device manager shows the card in code 43 with the windows driver. I can’t install the new AMD bundled driver, a blue screen pops up and says “This app can’t run on your PC”. I tried disabling smart screen, disabled AV, tried run as administrator, but then it says windows cannot find the file and prints the entire path to the file which does exist. Windows will let me run the radeon pro installer for the old WX card, but not the freshly downloaded AMD driver bundle, either non-whql or the whql bundle.

Tried disabling bitdefender also.

Doing a system reboot from the windows menu also crashes/reboots the proxmox host sometimes.

Reason for this mess is that I wanted a linux box to run a big zfs raid 10 with high endurance nvme as cache to serve as a kvm host for a home lab. The windows 10 VM is just for occasional gaming.

I have not yet tried extracting the video bios and passing it to the VM.

Anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

Try DDU in safe mode on the windows guest. Then after it reboots try installing the drivers again. I have had issues going from radeon pro, to regular radeon in the past.

I found a page that says to delete the C:/AMD folder, which helped.

I deleted the C:\AMD folder, redownloaded the non-whql driver, and its loading now, but the driver installer says my OS is unsupported. Running win10 pro 21H2 fully updated.

Downloaded the older WHQL driver and it seems to be installing now. Mid-way through the install it blanked the screen and it rebooted the entire host again.

I’ll try to do DDU.

If I recall correctly, my RX 6700XT absolutely needs the vbios passed to work with passthrough.

I was erroneously passing the entire gpu, and then again the integrated sound pci device. (all functions check box)

Disabling resizable BAR and passing the vbios seems to have made the system much more stable, I’m able to restart the vm repeatedly with no crashes and the gpu posts 100% of the time into the VM.

1 Like