Repairing HpDevOne laptop

Hello,

I have an hpDevOne laptop and the screen/lid has gotten floppy. I’m assuming that I’m out of warrenty and I need to repair it. As I understand it all you need to do is to get to the hinge and thighten up the screws.

As I understand it I need to get the display bezel off to get to the hinge cover. Remove the cover to get to the hinge screws and tighten the screws and fix the floppy dispaly lid.

The catch, it appears the HpDevOne uses a different screen than the eliteBook 845 that its based off of. The bezel and display appear to be one and I dont know how to get that off. I dont want to damage the display and I have stopped trying to disassemble it.

Currently I just removed the display and I am using the laptop as a desktop with a build in ups.

Now I’m out of ideas. I emailed hp support for help I have not heard anything back. I’m assuming I wont get a response for a while because I’m out of warrenty and HpDevOne is now defunked.

Any advice on how to move forward will be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

I have one also. And I’d say look at the manual. But for the life of me I can’t find one.

Anyone have an idea where to get one?

Yeah I hear you man! I think the HpDevOne laptop is an G8 or 9 Hp EliteBook 845 with a better screen. But the repair manual from the EliteBook does not match what I’m seeing with mine. In the repair manual it looks like the bezel is a simple plastic piece with a square hole for the screen. Just remove your plastic bezel and you have access to the mechanicals of the display/lid. But here, it looks like the bezel and the screen is integrated. The bezel is not just a simple plastic ring around the screen but looks like its a glass screen. I dont know how to get that off. Further if I try I think I will just crack the screen.

Since the Hp dev one project folded, it looks like all the helpful info has disappeared. If anyone at Hp is reading this, this Hp Dev One incident reflects poorly on HP. Whats the difference between HP and an Aliexpress seller? The Aliexpress seller is priced like a fly by night operation.

Does this help at all? From all I’ve seen the DevOne was physically near identical to a 845G8, which has this slightly funky method of getting the lower screen bezel (covering the hinges) off:

Yes and no. My issue is that I’m trying to get there. I cant get access to the screw that is holding the lower hinge cover because the screen bezel is covering it. If you look at the diagram that you posted the laptop lid has a screen and the bezel is missing. I cant get the bezel off because when I try it looks like its pulling off the screen with it. I’m assuming that the bezel is glued to the screen as one unit. I cant find any instructions on how to do this. I fear that I will break the screen if I continue to apply force to remove what I think is the bezel and screen in order to get to the hinge cover screw.

Still no response from Hp.

Thanks for the pic though!

So going by this link:

Which links to this PDF:

http://www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c07067671.pdf

The screen bezel should pop off just by squeezing it in a specific order (page 60 of the PDF):

Doesn’t sound particularly fun, however!

Not exactly your make and model of laptop but it might be helpful.

Good luck!

Thanks ScottishTom for the manual and thetazman for the video. But the screen on the Hp Dev One is more like a mac and it looks like a single pane of glass. It looks like the screen and the bezel are one piece. If you look at thetazman’s video at 15:10 you can see that the bezel is just a plastic ring around the screen. The DevOne laptop is not like that.

I received an email from hp. I gave them my serial number of the laptop. I assumed they would be able to track my account, warrenty status and what not with it. Instead, HP wants my account number, order number, phone number, and a video of the floppy hinge before they can help me.

Great!!! Hp your just a pile steaming shi****!

Yea … hp (at least consumer grade) Products have gone to shit in the past several years along with their business model (hardware as a service / mandatory data collection / do things the way we tell you to do it. IMO) Have had 2 hp printers … one I owned and 1 a friend owned get bricked by hp. The printer that my friend owned because hp no longer wanted to support it made it impossible to use the ink monitoring / scan to pc / basic print functionality in an update to the software stack that is installed on the pc. The printer I owned was a usb or wireless printer and once the new driver update came thru via windows update the printer ceased to work via usb until the printer was connected via wireless and setup to be connected 24/7 via wireless.

Now I actively avoid hp!
/end rant!

1 Like

I just ran into the same wall as @JohnnyY today - got all the way to the point of disconnecting the display from the body, and I can tell that all I need to do to fix my floppy hinges is access the handful of screws within the hinge cover, but there appears to be no non-destructive way to remove the hinge cover. It’s covered up by the single-pane glass display.

I think I may be able to remove the display from the metal backing by carefully prying it up starting at the location of the webcam-cover slider-bar, but without knowing where the adhesive underneath is, we’re right back to the question of “how do I do this without wrecking my screen in the process?”.

Honestly, I’m tempted to take a Dremel to the hinge cover and open up either a slot or a few holes just large enough to access the hinge screws to tighten them up.

My solution was to just remove the screen and use the laptop as a desktop with a built in ups and a stupid dongle for ethernet.

I love the screen. Its one of the best I have seen on a laptop this side of a mac. But HP’s poor anti consumer choices make them hard to recommend.

When I have the time, I’m going to look into turning the screen into a seperate monitor. As I said the screen is a good screen. Just crappy HP quality.

Have you tried setting up the printer via USB on a Linux system or even a virtual machine? You might even get ink level and such, considering HP is I think, the best supported printer model on Linux by a few miles.

Also, HP has some of if not THE most affordable ink cartridges, maybe that’s some other company. But anyway, if you or your friend still have the old printers, set them up on Linux, both wired and wirelessly and see whar you are able to do with the software.

I like to believe that Linux helps fight against e-waste, and maintains 32-bit cpu compatibility, and hopefully, will do so for another 30 years. Sure it may be slow, but with a light desktop, and 1GB of memory it should do just fine accessing web pages. Hmm, I wonder what webpages will be like then… We complain about javascript, I wonder what it will be next.

Both of the hp printer issues have been resolve several months ago. My friend outright replaced his printer for a canon printer. The printer I had got turned into the local good will. It may have worked under linux but at the time I was running windows and just needed it to work and to just print under windows. Now I don’t have a need for a daily printer.