Remove Java from my system

Fedora 25 ships with OpenJDK pre-installed, but since I am not running any Java applications, I would like to uninstall it. When I try to run dnf remove it wants to uninstall many other packages, that I assume depend on Java, like Libre Office.

I tested how a lack of Java would affect my applications by running chmod 000 to effectively deny access to the binary (/usr/bin/java), and so far Libre Office worked just fine for my workflow. However, I would rather uninstall the whole package.

Is there a way that I can remove the OpenJDK and maybe create a dummy in its place?

Don't know it this would work or provide info.

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/23741/how-do-i-make-the-software-updater-skipexclude-some-packages/

On Gentoo this would be a lot simpler.

How keen and passionate are you regarding its removal? You may have no direct use for Java, but dnf is giving you a list of packages that do depend on Java in some fashion. That translates to a degree of risk in Java's removal. Your technique of denying everything use of /usr/bin/java is essentially statistical; you will never wholly prove that you can get away without a Java runtime. You can only establish that, so far, nothing really bad has happened. Tomorrow, crap can hit the fans.

If you're just tidying up the place, and are not keen or passionate otherwise, then in light of what dnf reports, I'd suggest to let the bear sleep in the cave and go about other projects. So you have some underutilized binaries occupying disk space. Maybe not such a big deal.

If, in your case, it is a big deal (to wit: you are KEEN!!! and PASSIONATE!!!) then you are going to have to do a risk assessment and figure out the particular ways how each of those packages which dnf cites depends on Java. Perhaps it is a short list - ten or fifteen items. Perhaps the nature of dependency is a very loose coupling - some scripts in the package execute Java applications. Perhaps, for each of those packages, there are Java-less re-installation alternatives. As a Gentoo user, I'm beyond my ken when it comes to the specifics of spelunking package dependencies in Fedora distributions, but there are a lot of Fedora folk around here, though.

The "dummy" would be another java-like run time. Take care!

I realized that those were actually dependencies of Libre Office. If I run dnf repoquery --installed --whatrequires java-openjdk... the only package that requires it is actually Libre Office, so I think the effects should be predictable or at least restricted to it.

What I meant by dummy was something that makes dnf think Java is installed, so Libre Office's dependencies are met.

Libre Office works without Java for the most part, at least that's what I've heard and on some Linux distros there is actually a version that has been compiled without Java support.

That is reassuring. While spelunking Fedora dependencies is not my strong suite, I can spelunk here in Gentoo land. Libreoffice can be built without java support - you give up the non-linear solver in libreoffice calc, the (media)-wiki publisher in writer, java and javascript scripting - impacting, I think, the ability to bind Unified Network Objects (UNO) written in those languages as libreoffice UNO components. The data access application, lbase, builds without Java support, but is unstable. Those matters taken into hand, we in Gentoo land can pass in a -java use flag to Portage when it comes to build libreoffice and do without Java - and those features. Can't see that the principle would be all that different in Fedora land, just the practice. Haven't used Fedora since 10, when yum ruled, but seem to dimly recall that you could be selective about what a rpm installs, so long as the RPM packagers gave you the choices. Hope this helps.

1 Like

This will work

dnf mark install libreoffice
dnf remove java-1.8.0-openjdk

However you may find unexpected issues.

It will also try and remove other java dependencies which may affect libreoffice, and some libreoffice functionality may not work correctly or at all.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for me.

If I run straight dnf mark install libreoffice it gives me an error telling me that libreoffice is not installed. If I run it with the package that is apparently depending on Java (libreoffice-core), the first command succeeds but when I attempt deleting Java, I get the same result like before, where it tries to uninstall Libre Office too. :thinking:

I guess I could build Libre Office without Java myself, but I was never really lucky with compiling software myself. :confused:

Install libreoffice then? that command only marks an installed package as user installed, so it has to be installed first.

But isn't it already installed? I mean libreoffice-core is installed and I am having all the apps working.

It should be

dnf info libreoffice

if its installed the dnf mark install libreoffice command should work without issue.

It only lists as available but not installed. When I attempt to install it, I get a bunch of new packages including the full version of the OpenJDK, not just the headless version:

apache-commons-logging                   noarch            1.2-6.fc25                         fedora              85 k
 flute                                    noarch            1.3.0-15.OOo31.fc24                fedora              65 k
 java-1.8.0-openjdk                       x86_64            1:1.8.0.131-1.b12.fc25             updates            232 k
 libbase                                  noarch            1.1.3-15.fc24                      fedora             128 k
 libfonts                                 noarch            1.1.3-18.fc24                      fedora             195 k
 libformula                               noarch            1.1.3-15.fc24                      fedora             319 k
 liblayout                                noarch            0.2.10-12.fc24                     fedora             657 k
 libloader                                noarch            1.1.3-14.fc24                      fedora             101 k
 libreoffice                              x86_64            1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25                   updates             78 k
 libreoffice-base                         x86_64            1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25                   updates            2.6 M
 librepository                            noarch            1.1.3-14.fc24                      fedora              68 k
 libserializer                            noarch            1.1.2-15.fc24                      fedora              38 k
 pentaho-libxml                           noarch            1.1.3-14.fc24                      fedora              87 k
 pentaho-reporting-flow-engine            noarch            1:0.9.4-12.fc24                    fedora             288 k
 postgresql-jdbc                          noarch            9.4.1209-5.fc25                    fedora             504 k
 sac                                      noarch            1.3-23.fc24                        fedora              22 k
 ttmkfdir                                 x86_64            3.0.9-48.fc24                      fedora              56 k
 xml-commons-apis                         noarch            1.4.01-20.fc24                     fedora             232 k
 xorg-x11-fonts-Type1                     noarch            7.5-16.fc24                        fedora             522 k

Dependencies of lirbreoffice. unless you only want libreoffice-core then mark that instead.

afaik a jre is not enough for LibreOffice, you need a jdk, but mostly for Base. There used to be a hack to convert the java-based db to SQLite, but I haven't seen that in a while. If you don't use Base though, you don't really need java.

I would just not install the metapackage but install just core, common and the parts of LibreOffice you need, avoiding Base. In that case I would expect that jdk doesn't even pop up as a dependency.

I don't quite get what you mean. If I mark libreoffice-core it wants to remove Libre Office anyways, when I try to remove Java. I would maybe need to install libreoffice first before I could mark that and that would force me to install the full Java and I feel like it would be same story like now with libreoffice-core and the headless Java.

I have a working installation of Libre Office and these packages that contain 'java' in their name installed:

$ dnf repoquery --installed *java*
abrt-java-connector-0:1.1.0-8.fc24.x86_64
java-1.8.0-openjdk-headless-1:1.8.0.131-1.b12.fc25.x86_64
javapackages-tools-0:4.7.0-6.1.fc25.noarch
python3-javapackages-0:4.7.0-6.1.fc25.noarch
tzdata-java-0:2017b-1.fc25.noarch

I don't seem to have Base installed but the headless Java that I have installed is still required:

$ dnf repoquery --installed *libreoffice*
libreoffice-calc-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-core-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-data-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.noarch
libreoffice-draw-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-emailmerge-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-filters-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-graphicfilter-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-gtk2-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-gtk3-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-impress-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-langpack-en-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-math-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-opensymbol-fonts-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.noarch
libreoffice-pdfimport-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-pyuno-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-ure-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-ure-common-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.noarch
libreoffice-writer-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-x11-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreoffice-xsltfilter-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64
libreofficekit-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64

I think I haven't even installed Libre Office myself, and that it was shipped with Fedora 25.

You have the jdk on your system, but you only need it for the database functionality in Base.

The jre can be installed with other parts of LibreOffice if you don't install Base but want other lesser used functionality to work in Sheets or third party spell checking for instance, but if you go full hunspell, and don't need some functionality in sheets and diagrams iirc, then you can break the dep and go without jre also.

You'll have to break deps anyway because the jdk is marked as dep. If you however can live with those small limitations and don't install Base, it'll work just fine. LibreOffice will not crash, the functionality that is affected will not even pop up.

You can't install LibreOffice without jdk without breaking deps though, that much is certain.

Best thing to do is to get the deps list of all the individual packages you want from LibreOffice, and install those and the LibreOffice packages of your choice without dep resolution.

So if I understood this right: I need the JDK for Base but for the rest the JRE should be sufficient? I haven't even installed Base, so why does it need the JDK and not instead use the JRE? And how is the situation without any form of Java (nor JDK nor JRE)?

The problem is that even libreoffice-core requires the JDK:

$ dnf repoquery --installed --whatrequires java-*
libreoffice-core-1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25.x86_64

If I check what exactly libreoffice-core requires, this is the result:

$ dnf repoquery --requires libreoffice-core
/bin/sh
config(libreoffice-core) = 1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25
[...]
java-headless >= 1:1.6
[...]

And if I just wanted the Writer I wouldn't get around the libreoffice-core:

$ dnf repoquery --requires libreoffice-writer
[...]
libreoffice-core(x86-64) = 1:5.2.3.3-4.fc25
libreoffice-core(x86-64) = 1:5.2.6.2-6.fc25
[...]

Yeah but you ignore the java and install all other deps. It should still work except Base and some marginal functionality as mentioned above. That's why you have to install without deps. You break the deps to avoid java, knowing that not everything will work, but it will also not crash normally, so it's alright if you don't need that functionality.

Just remove the java packages without dep resolution, and see what happens to your Libre-Office. If it still works like you want, then you're done.

BTW, you can't do that directly with dnf, you have to use rpm, so e.g.

su -c 'rpm -e --nodeps java-1.8.0-openjdk-headless-<....>'

1 Like

I see, but won't that cause dnf to install it again when I run it next time or install updates for Libre Office? Or will dnf think it is still installed because it never uninstalled it itself?
Oh and if it thinks that it's still installed, won't dnf install it again, when there are Java updates?

No dnf will update packages, no resolve dependencies unless you install or remove dependent packages, or unless you do a dist-upgrade or switch repos. You just have to check the list of proposed packages with such operations. If it reinstalls the jdk or jre, you just repeat the rpm -e as above afterwards.