Remote solution for a notebook

Hi there,

i’m currently looking for a solution to use a notebook remotly on my main desktop-pc. The easiest way would of course be to access it via some traditional remote software over Ethernet, but i’m looking for a more… universal type of remote access - device?

Is there a way and a SoC (Raspi alike) to simulate a docking station and parse the I/O Devices (Monitor, Keyboard, Mice, Mic, Stereo-Out) over Ethernet?

1 Like

You’re basically talking about a Thin-Client or a Zero-Client, from what I can tell. There’s a handful of different protocols, such as PCoIP. Beyond that, I don’t have much experience, just wanted to get you looking in the right direction.

1 Like

Hmmm, have you looked at https://pikvm.org/ . ?

1 Like

Yes, after some more research I also found this solution…
Raspberry Pi KVM over IP

There are 2 major openSource distributer:

• TinyPilot
  • Pi-KVM

But it looks like that there is no audio-support for either stereo-ouput and a microphone-input. Pi-KVM has a discord that mentions the possibility of supporting this feature in the future (coming soon TM). Right now you could experiment with a usb sound card and connect the audio-inputs witht he audio-outputs between the pi and the device. But about the manual implementation of such a thing, - i have no idea.

1 Like

If RDP or VNC is not merely enough, try Pi-KVM alongside VirtualHere Linux USB server and client with a Pi Zero W + a USB Hub HAT+ a USB headset / USB speakers + USB microphone.

1 Like

I forgot that Wendell did a video about this thing:

After reading multiple messages on their discord, i found out that vnc and audio support are currently top priority. I even consider to donate money to them and wait until they have a solution.