Hi, I have a large collection of photos from my mobiles over the years, old negative scans and family backups, I have a backup on my NAS which I can use the Plex photo app to view them remotely, but the app is terrible, it takes an age to bring up the preview and if I want to show someone a video from it, it either doesn’t play or if I turn it to landscape it won’t do anything with the video. I have contacted Plex but not heard anything.
What I’m looking for is a way to view my photos from my Terramaster NAS on my mobile or tablet remotely, i had seen PhotoPrizm mentioned somewhere, but would like some advice if this is a good choice or if anyone has any other suggestions.
I have Immich running, it has a native android and iOS app. Browser based UI has slightly better feel to it, but they are very close together, it it might be a perfect fit.
It does allow shenanigans like face detection, and many more. But even if disabled and used for viewing pictures (and the global map, if you have exif data in the pictures), it is amazing.
The tool allows remote picture storage as well, so no actual “upload” to the server hosting it is required. Your upload limit will however always be the bottleneck. potentially on the server hosting it, you can store the thumbnails to allow for a fast overview.
Happy to assist if there are any other questions related to it.
I have heard/read about, but not tested, Nextcloud pictures/photos (they call it Memories it seems). could be an alternative, especially if you already have it running somewhere.
Thanks, actually immich was another that was mentioned, my NAS supports docker stuff, so if I follow the instructions on immich, I should be able to get it working from there?
I’ve not done a lot with docker so I’ll do my best later to try it. Thanks, I I’ll try this one for now.
Immich is indeed a good one, as some of my colleagues use it, and I’m planning to deploy and test it soon.
I currently use Nextcloud as it’s my Google replacement, and I also use it as my calendar and contacts sync to my devices. Images work fine, and you have most normal options like creating albums, tagging pictures, etc. You can also share or let others upload to an album. I don’t use it often, but I hope Immich can do that too, as sometimes it’s nice to have.
My phone’s pictures are uploaded to the server, but I also have a NAS share connected, and everything loads pretty fast. Nextcloud will generate thumbnails if you set it up, and I sometimes run it in manually if I add a lot of pictures at once.
It might be interesting to try, especially if you also want to use the contact/calendar sync and de-Google your life.
I have tried Nextcloud, but I didn’t fully use it to it’s potential, at some point I want to learn more about networking and the possibility of doing some homelabbing for more self hosting stuff.
I know this will be the place to come if I need advice.
Thank you, I only had a few minutes today to try and install it on docker, but i couldn’t get it to work from the guide, hopefully tomorrow i’ll have more time. If i struggle again i hope you don’t mind if i ask for more advice. Paul.
Right, I got it working. I see i can add external librarys, but when i tried i couldn’t mount the folder on my NAS that already contains them. i presume i can but i’m not sure how to add them.
change docker compose file to have docker (read only) mount the local disk into the container
this is required, as per default, a container does not have any access to the outside file system (your NAS files/folders)
*Note: It is always recommended to have a dedicated user for administrative tasks, and a “low”-profile limited normal user for actual viewing and sharing.
Thanks for the help, i have followed the guide but but it keeps telling me my folder is invalid, path does not exist, I can’t see anything missing but there will be im sure. I’ll try again later, if you have any thought they are gratefully received.