Reliable Place to Get Mac OS Installers?

Just wondering where a trust worthy place would be to get copies of the Mac OS installers, specifically ones that aren’t distributed by Apple anymore. So for example, OS X Tiger. I know ebay has some, but those can be quite expensive.

I’ve looked around and the best solution was torrents. I wish there was a better option, but I can’t think of anything else.

EDIT: You might be able to get your hands on it through the Apple Developer portal, but that requires paying their fees…

https://developer.apple.com/download/more/

Only a Yosemite build there :\

1 Like

Bummer. I don’t really know what to say then. Sorry.

@FaunCB, do you know where to find old OSX installers?

3 Likes

I might have a few… I’ve archived all my disks/images back to tiger, although the tiger installer I have is machine-specific, not retail.

What do you need? I can download Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra and upload it for you.

He’s looking for Tiger.

Intel or PPC? I think I can get this. Takes a few days though.

I’ll take both if that’s an option.

I do, however to get anything 10.4 and up is considered as Warez. 10.3 back to OS7, however, has been let go by apple and previous OS versions were open to the public in the first place.

@Derbshey https://winworldpc.com/library/operating-systems is where I go to get my old ass iso’s. Good luck. PM me if you need anything else or help finding stuff.

Edit: The Intel version of 10.4 is so fucking rare it isn’t funny. 10.4 in total is almost nonexistent in image form. Just so you know.

Thank you!

I’ll keep an eye out for it. I think the 8-bit guy would be willing to offer a copy if he has one if you’re interested. Might be worth a shot.

Edit:
I’m just going to leave this here. I found it interesting.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Tiger#System_requirements

I was gonna say, for anyone looking at this thread for the more recent OSes, you can use VMware to “upgrade” far enough to get a Sierra or High Sierra install .app without a Mac. It is incredibly hard though so that requires plenty of prep work.

As to that version SPECIFICALLY… Snow Leopard I think runs on a lot of stuff going back that far.

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard disk on my shelf. I can offer to make an image of it for you. With Rosetta it can run classic applications for ppc and can fairly easy be virtualized.

Snow Leopard was by far the best release of OSX ever. I remember it was crazy fast in comparison and it ran super stable even on the RC I had from … somewhere.

2 Likes

Yes and no.

If you’ve been running later than SL, going back is supremely annoying. Things like full screen, the new mission control, etc. do work well if you’re used to them.

I’ve got a mac mini that sucks on lion (and isn’t supported by anything later, in addition to a couple of other real macs that can run current)

Yes resource consumption is less, but i don’t run crap hardware… anything 2011 or later with an SSD is fine on Lion or later.

I actually really liked Mavericks.

In general,you need an installation media.

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately we have rules in place on commenting on old threads, referred to as “Necro-ing Threads”. In short, this means that if a thread goes untouched for a certain amount of time, 4-6 months depending on the topic, then it is deemed officially dead.

Thank you for commenting though!

Hope you enjoy the forum, please pay attention to OP post date next time though. Date of post can be seen in the top right corner of each post, as well as in the scroll bar on the side of the web page, or on mobile in the X/Y amount of posts button (which contains the scroll bar on mobile as well).

2 Likes