Reliable Bluetooth USB Adapter for Windows 10

Hi all,

I run a bluetooth keyboard when using my HTPC in my living room.

I purchased this adapter a few months ago:

Unfortunately, the drivers seem to be rather poor. Every day or two i have to get up and unplug and plug the dongle to reset it so my keyboard works. I have no idea what it is, it’s very sporadic, it may occur within a few hours of doing a reset, or it could last over two days.

I haven’t experienced such issues on my work laptop which has an Intel bluetooth chipset built in. Unfortunately it looks like I cant buy an Intel bluetooth usb adapter :frowning:

Does anyone know of a solid reliable bluetooh chipset I can search for?

Alternatively, is it possible to do the reset in software somehow, and I can have a scheduled tasks that runs it every 6 hours or something…

Cheers

Marlon

What kind of chipset does it have and the OS you are using?
On the Intel side, you can get m.2 NGFF or PCIe Wi-Fi+Bluetooth adapters. Check whether you have empty slots for those. The AX200 is my recommendation.

Unfortunately the amazon listing doesn’t specify the chipset and the windows 10 device manager doesn’t list any useful information.

I did see intel had a pcie card but that would put it behind the htpc, and when I originally had the dongle behind it I had signal issues so I’m a bit hesitant to go for the pcie card.

PCIe add-in cards use external antennas which you can place wherever you want.

Like these:

But it’s getting kinda costly.

I use a very cheap Logilink bt0015 works with the W10 it tends to disconnect once in several hours. Inside, it’s nothing but CSR8510, which is most of these cheap bt …

Use DevCon Utility from MS. and put commands into a simple script and execute using the schedule.
Find the root hub your bt is on and restart it “devcon restart ROOT_HUB”

Looks like that TP-Link one is needed as I need a low profile pcie bracket, but £50 is quite a lot to gamble on a solution.

If it wasn’t covid times I would abuse amazon’s return policy and take the gamble, but the pandemic makes returning goods slightly more involved.

Thanks I’ll give this a go first

If you search more, you’ll find cheaper Intel-based options like the 8260 and 9260.

I use Asus’s USB-BT400

Flawless connection and zero drop out with my xbox controller. Windows picked it up right away, smooth sailing ever since.

1)Dongle is a term you use when you don’t know the actual name of the thing, 2)the issue you have is something pretty specific, so I’d try to get something else, even USB port adapters should work with no issues, pretty much any realtek, intel or broadcom that I’ve used has worked with no issues.

Here in the UK at least, dongle is a fairly widespread term to mean something that is plugged into a computer, usually a USB port.

But for the sake of clarity, I have edited the original title.

1 Like

Dongle is a mainstream term, because most people don’t actually know ho certain things are called.

Maybe try a different driver too, are you using csr harmony wireless software stack? or the driver from MS?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.