Relative Non-Geek queries 2 clients shown on Pi-Hole from one machine?

Hello all!

Probably an obvious question, but I wonder why does Pi-Hole reports that there are two clients hooked up to my Raspberian Pi-Hole, when I’ve only setup one machine (Windows) to use it?

Just a curiousity, I do appreciate that 127… is needed for something.

I did google, but the wording goes against me :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Maybe the other one is your router/switch? The Ubiquity one?

1 Like

It’s a bit hard to tell because of what you blurred out.

But from what I can tell it’s probably Pi-Hole itself, or the underlying OS, doing DNS Queries. That’s why the loopback dns name “localhost” and address “127.0.0.1” show up. Depending on how you’ve configured Pi-Hole and the underlying OS it’ll vary how many there are, but there’ll always be some queries from the device itself.

(I’m assuming you’re asking about that one since in the dropdown “localhost” is highlighted?)

4 Likes

The other client should be the machine where PiHole is installed on.
I clearly remember seeing traces of the Debian NTP server in my queries but the only machine using Debian was my PiHole server.

Try to ping a website from the machine PiHole is hosted on and see if that generates some sort of traffic in PiHole itself.

2 Likes

Thank you peeps, you’re all true blues :+1:

I don’t think so, my machine isn’t going through a wired or wireless Ubiquiti - although one exists on the network, I go through cheap old Netgears.

Sorry about the blur, I thought it was a good idea to do?

Ah, the 127 is the second from the bottom, may be that’s it? I’ve only used very default settings so far, so I’m sure there’s no non-standard config happening.

The other addresses are just the usual 192’s…ahhh, I do see that 127 IP has a bizarre all zero’d MAC address?

In order of IP address:

1. “address” is…eh, my phone? (only connected to wifi, but there is Unifi apps on there as well as Home Assistant and some other things.
  2. Intel Corp…doesn’t exist on my network (on the router/DHCP device)
  3. Gigabyte - my motherboard, and correct IP, that’s fine.
  4. Intel again? Oh, that’s my wifes laptop?
  5. Ubiquiti - that’s my wireless network (my machine is cable connected to the Netgear switch)
  6. I do find it odd to see my GPU has an IP address, that’s a bit rude (is listed in DHCP)
  7. The Sagemcom Broadband SAS is my router.
  8. local host with 127 and zero’d MAC address.
    9 The Pi itself.

Ahh, well done Dr Watson :slight_smile:

I will try a ping as soon as I find where my HDMI cable is!

Thanks again guys, very kind :+1:

1 Like

As mentioned, the localhost on 127.0.0.1 is the pihole itself.

There is a whole bunch of reserved and special IP addresses, like the 192 range we normally use for home lans

It’s funny with the Nvidia one, as they brought Melanox, and have some networking gear, as they need it for high speed interconnects between clusters/grids. So they just brought whole companies to own the tech…
But you don’t have a supercomputer/renderfarm/AI training farm?

1 Like

Why not SSH into the machine? Way easier, if you’re familiar with it.

What goes around comes around!

1 Like

Cheers for that :+1: I have since delved into Pi-Hole a little more, seems that these other devices don’t chat at all over the network.

Hehe, no, just a few “servers”.

1 Like

I have done that before, but it was all done within an install package. I have found instructions on how to do it though, I might give it a shot.

Makes it sound like I’ve helped people, but I feel I’ve never helped anyone! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hope it worked, SSH is pretty neat.

Being nice goes a long way!