REEEEE- NEED Quick advice 4000 PC in Two Weeks

You should hire @Kat, extra work experience for him to throw on his resume.
/jk

It sounds like hiring a sysadmin with the proper certs and skills was an after thought.
Companies think IT people are a waste of money.

5 Likes

With automating Windows deployment, PXE and Powershell are your friend. That being said, since it’s hourly and they’re hiring random techs to do it they probably don’t realize the only time each individual machine might need to be touched is for testing… or setting up PXE if it isn’t already… So make sure the project takes at least two weeks, I guess (unless there’s a nice bonus for finishing early).

Eh, you don’t know the whole story. It’s possible they’ve already taken the machines off the network and are in the process of fixing the servers, but they just don’t have the manpower to efficiently image the endpoints. (that said, they probably should have this in place by now considering they’ve got 4000 of them)

1 Like

I’m still learning Red hat and I have no certs period. Kek

2 Likes

Teaching you how PXE boot will only take 30 seconds in person. The server shit can be done by someone else.

You don’t need certs to do a proper deployment. The point of having certs is to showcase your skills on a single piece of paper, that way the companies looking to hire have an understanding of your guaranteed skills and potential usefulness to a company. If you are doing contract work or have the connections, you can showcase your skills that way then obtain the certs after as long as you have the connections to get into the job first.

2 Likes

Im possibly getting this contract and i have no certs. @Kat.

Either way, im hoping i get it, if not , whatever, im already prepping, but if i get it, whatever.

Time will tell. I am UNDER NDA now and they going to consult me. So I can share limited info now.

OH HAHAHA WOW , GEEZ, yea if im doing this, im going ask for that $$$$$$.

Job Description:

Company unfortunately got hit with the WannaCry virus last week. WannaCry is a ransomware cryptoworm, which targets computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system by encrypting data and demanding ransom payments in the Bitcoin cryptocurrency.

Company has elected not to pay the decryption fee and is in need of additional resources to re-image roughly 4000 Windows PCs.

They are currently using a thumb/flash drive to load on a standard image onto the machine. They’re focused on loading the clinical applications first, and then will update the business applications later.

3 Likes

JFC, it wouldn’t be that hard to setup WDS, Clonezilla, Clonedeploy, or Norton Ghost and get that shit going over the network. Like, for the setup of everything, you’d fall behind someone walking around with a thumb drive by like 2 or 3 computers. But after that’s setup, you’d blast ahead of that person so fast it’d make their head spin. When there are 4000 computers at stake, this is the only way to go. They probably bought everyone 3 drives, and they’re basically just leap frogging 3 machines at a shot. Good lord, just thinking about it makes me want to go home and eat my gun.

1 Like