REEEEE- NEED Quick advice 4000 PC in Two Weeks

So I am making a bit of money maybe, a hospital (small one) got hit with wanna cry.

They are doing fresh installs (Also arnt the keys been released?) and at first it was for $15/HR, then i got told the location which was Three hours away.

To much for a daily drive, Threw back counter offer thinking this is just like 400 Pc from the description so far.

Turns outs its 4000 pcs, they wanna hire a bunch of random local tech to do it fast within two weeks, I made an offer to do All Installs and/or Hotel, waiting back now before knowing that but havnt gotten a NO back yet either…

Now I know how to slipstream programs and keys to some degree and automate some installs. Its not confirmed I have this but, The brooker sounded escalated in tone so there is that.

ANY ADVICE to add would be great, I have knowledge, just trying to double check.

@Big_Al_Tech
@wendell
@kewldude007
@Kiaxa
@Novasty

Clonezilla

• Create WinPE environment

• Create install with key

• Have hospital look into a 4500 Ninite deployment

• START PXE BOOT DEPLOYING

You will likely need additional man power to do all of this and the server will likely need to be able to handle at least 400 installs a day.

Another option is Norton Ghost, never used it. The few times I saw it in action, it was quite good at mass deployments as well.

4 Likes

What is the setup of the infected computers. Are they all on the same network? Are they all in the same building?

Not sure yet, Just literally got his hot 15 minutes ago.

Do you know what you’ll bid to do the whole thing?

not right now, I have the resources, Im crunching numbers.

Do they have a timeline?

Two weeks is what they would like.

That’s kinda nuts. My initial thought was $100/machine and it’ll take a month.

Good luck! Be careful.

@Just_Lurking might some insight. So I’mma tag him now.

So you’re likely going to want to brush up on Windows Deployment Services, and System Center. They will likely be using these tools. If they’re using Clonezilla or Norton Ghost for 4000 (presumably) AD connected computers, then I start to understand their present situation. Might be worth checking local news to see if you can glean whether you’ll be working with the original SA, or a new one. If it’s the original SA, you’ll want to walk on egg shells around them, as they will be walking around looking like they perpetually have the sword of Damocles hanging over their head.

1 Like

The more I think about this, the more it sounds like a potential nightmare.

It might be best to take an hourly rate you’re happy with (plus accommodations) and just try to rack up some cash (overtime if possible). It will likely take much longer than they expect.

The issue is, this is a scope potentially too big for a single person. He will likely need a small team and a project manager to get this done properly.

Ghost multicast means you can image 200 machines from a 244port switch stack in a matter of hours. Ninite plus ad plus a multicast image solution works well.

I did it once as a binary tree many years ago. I was imaging while someone else was setting up patch cables so we could do it in “local” switch stacks.

One multicast cloning machine with pxeboot and images cloning itself to 8 on our local setup, then those 8 to 8 floors in a building while I did the next 8 etc. Me and a crew of 5 upgraded like 2000 machines in 10 offices over zillions of miles in a weekend :smiley: it was well planned tho and all the cloning data was “local”

3 Likes

Was there a discovery/planning phase? If so, how long did that take?

1 Like

Alright probably what you’ll be dealing with is a bunch of SFF dell machines or WYSE 4XXX machines. Its pretty standard fat client setup stuff. All the hospitals around my area are setup with a fat client system. Windows 7 local, proooobably 2008 server as the host unless its a redhat hoest, though I don’t think the “Communications and directors board” at these hospitals don’t do the smart thing, just whats fastest. Though EPIC! is a really good system so I can’t blame them either.

In any case, thats what you’re dealing with here. Be aware of that.

Weeks to months :smiley: tho that was mostly to be sure local machine data would be preserved.

2 Likes

If it is DELL machines, he has the option of going to QUEST and getting the KACE deployment services. Automate the installs the moment the machine is network booted.

1 Like

I don’t know the network tech that goes into the machines anymore. I know how novell works but that doesn’t really help anymore xd

If they have the infrastructure in place to efficiently image the machines, then you’re good.

I think the concern is that they were hit by WannaCry (when? that was a while ago right?), and their first idea is to throw techs at the problem for $15/hour. To me that’s a red flag.

4 Likes