Redoing the thermals in my powerbook

Been doing some work on my powerbook and I noticed that my thermals aren’t great. My fancurve is nonexistant, but that will come later. I decided I wanted to redo them, so I took pictures to share.

So heres the dang thing

Current Temps. Hangs around 64 when building stuff. No bueno.

Lets run a test RQ

533mhz ram slowed to 167mhz. Makes me so mad dude. Can’t wait to get full openfirmware on this thing.

After running the test for a bit

Fastest I got. It should be able to hit like 1300-1500 I reckon.

Gib

Never been in here before.

I think theres more cables than screws wtf is this shit lol. Its like every feature of the laptop has a cable.

I don’t care about this display don’t worry. Paste is dry, as is thermal pad. Cracked too.

Also I want to comment how much more competent this thermal solution is compared to the new macbook air. Just shows how different apple is now.

I don’t have pictures of putting paste on, but I used some thermaltake TG-7. It works good enough. As well I replaced the thermal pad that was in there with one that I stole from the cooler on my NVME ssd in my desktop. Better thermal transfer over all.

I had to actually put it back together a couple times to get the power to get picked up, but I didn’t frag the board. It booted on battery.

While bored and in-between putting the board in and testing cables, I wondered what this thing was on top of the CD drive. I think its what OFW runs on? But IDK.

Board schematic ID. 820-1819-A.

And holy shit look at this BIG CHUNGUS hard drive.

New thermal pad

The cable management over here was ridiculously complicated so I cleaned it up. It was legit awful and like woven together.

Its just neater now. All the cables were on top of the fan and crap.

Close it up.

Heeeere we go.

Also got this working.

OSX decided to do a bunch of background routines (update checks, driver checks, security scan) and this was the firstc heat up I saw.

Awesome. Good thermal transfer. Its not just at 67-70.

Geekbench scores aren’t any better sadly. Thats temporary limits that are set. As well, fancurve is weird. I’ll be changing that in the OFW settings and then copying that for others to use.

But… It doesn’t get above 56C. Even when doing video / streaming. I’m surprised…

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Nice writeup.
Never seen the insides of a Powerbook.

1 Like