Recommended programs from the University of Phoenix?

Hey everyone,

I am currently studying Computer Science at Texas State University, but recently, I've come to the conclusion that I just cannot afford to work part time, and my current employer won't allow me to work full time unless I have completely open availability. Therefore, I have come to the following conclusion: I need to take courses online in order to have maximum availability at work without sacrificing my education.

I'm planning to take online courses from the University of Phoenix, but they don't have a "Computer Science" program (online, at least). I'm hoping you can help me decide which program to follow:

• Associates:
    • Associate Of Arts Concentration In Information Technology With Cisco Networking Certificate
    • Associate Of Arts Concentration In Information Technology With Database Administration Certificate
    • Associate Of Arts Concentration In Information Technology With Desktop Support Certificate
    • Associate Of Arts Concentration In Information Technology With Health Care Information Technology Certificate
    • Associate Of Arts Concentration In Information Technology With Information Assurance And Security Certificate
    • Associate Of Arts Concentration In Information Technology With Multimedia Development Certificate
    • Associate Of Arts Concentration In Information Technology With Network Support Certificate
    • Associate Of Arts Concentration In Information Technology With Programming Certificate
    • Associate Of Arts Concentration In Information Technology With Web Administration Certificate
    • Associate of Arts with a concentration in Information Technology
  • Bachelors:

• Bachelor Of Science In Information Technology
    • Bachelor Of Science In Information Technology With Advanced Business Analytics Certificate
    • Bachelor Of Science In Information Technology With Advanced Information Systems Security Certificate
    • Bachelor Of Science In Information Technology With Advanced Multimedia Development Certificate
    • Bachelor Of Science In Information Technology With Advanced Software Developer Certificate
    • Bachelor Of Science In Information Technology With Associate Of Arts Concentration In Information Technology
    • Bachelor Of Science In Information Technology With Cisco Networking Certificate
    • Bachelor Of Science In Information Technology With Desktop Support Certificate
    • Bachelor Of Science In Information Technology With Health Care Information Technology Certificate
    • Bachelor Of Science In Information Technology With Information Assurance And Security Certificate
    • Bachelor Of Science In Information Technology With Network Support Certificate
    • Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with Advanced Networking Certificate
    • Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with a Database Administration Certificate
    • Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with a Multimedia Development Certificate
    • Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with a Programming Certificate
    • Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with a Web Administration Certificate
  • Masters:

• Master Of Information Systems
    • Master Of Information Systems With Business Analytics Certificate
    • Master Of Information Systems With Information Systems Audit And Control Certificate
    • Master Of Information Systems With Information Systems Management Certificate
  • Doctoral:

• Doctor Of Management In Organizational Leadership/information Systems And Technology

I would prefer to make at least 50k/year (starting salary).

Thank you to anybody who answers this,
Rhett

Aside from money, what are you interested in? I could go to school to be a surgeon or a lawyer if I wanted to make a lot of money, but I have no interest in that, so I'm studying cyber security, which as an aside I could also make a lot of money in, but interest in the subject is my main driving factor.

It's really hard to devote yourself to something you're not interested in. In terms of IT, I have absolutely no interest in Windows or Mac development, so pursuing those fields as a career path would probably not work out too well for me.

Finally, aside from degrees, you should look into some certifications. Here's a list of in demand skills and the highest paying certifications.

Sure, my primary motive is interest in the subject, but I look at that CISSP, which I plan to get in addition to an associate's and bachelor's, and I think "om nom nom nom nom." I haven't really looked into the two above it, but I may pursue those as well.

So far, all I've really done is C++ programming. I'd really enjoy a career where I'm more involved in Linux though, so I guess what I need to ask is this: What path would you recommend for someone looking to get more into Linux? I haven't had a huge amount of exposure to it. I feel comfortable programming and compiling C++ from a terminal, and I also feel comfortable with basic terminal commands, but that's about it.

Start by installing and using Linux, either stand alone or dual booting, or even virtual machines, just get to using it and get to where you run into issues, have to figure out issues, and have to look around for resources to figure out those issues. You'll become familiar pretty quickly.

As far as classes, can you see the curriculum for those degree options? Surely some of them have classes on Linux. There's also various Linux certifications that may or may not offer preparatory classes, I'm not sure.

I'm taking a Linux class this summer for my cyber security associates, and I've been using Linux personally for probably a little over a year, so really my best advice as far as learning Linux is to just use it on a regular basis.

I already use Linux on my laptop, an old acer netbook, although it's xubuntu, so it doesn't exactly have a learning curve. I'd like to get Linux up and running on my desktop too, but I'm worried about a few things: gaming on linux/through a vm, dual booting windows 8, and, if I did decide to dual boot, I don't have much storage space. I might just bite the bullet, do it, and just figure things out as I go. I'll miss GTA V until I can get it working though.

Alright, I'm now on OpenSUSE. I decided to dual boot after all. I have Windows 8.1 (+GTA V) on my 120 gb SSD, and I have OpenSUSE on my 1 tb HDD. I looked at some stuff on the internet, and I think I decided to pursue either the associates or bachelors degree in IT with a programming certificate. The reason I don't yet know if I want an associates or a bachelors degree is that a lot of the job postings I've seen don't really care about a college degree, but rather they require actual knowledge, as well as experience. Therefore, I may just do the associates, then focus on certs. Just so you know.