Recommended me a cross platform markdown editor

I’m looking at this one:

But am open to suggestions. I’m so used to writing everything in markdown I just want a lightweight editor for everything from composing notes to short documents.

PDF export is a plus.

VS Code?

4 Likes

I use Remarkable.

2 Likes

There’s an add on which does a live side by side render of the mark down as you write it.

1 Like

this deserves a try for the name alone :+1:

1 Like

Atom works fine too. That´s what I´ve been using. It tries to be a little like Visual Studio Code. But it works well as a markdown editor. And that´s all I ever use it for. You don´t need to install anything either. It comes with the markdownview (plugin?) out of the box.

It also has git integration. Would not be a bad idea to use that. But I´ve always just put my markdown notes into dropbox until now. Would not necessarily recommend that part, since they have dropped Linux support. I´ll probably try nextcloud some time or just use gitlab.

That would also work. :smiley: Never really gave it a try for that pupose. Since atom is now basically my dedicated markdown editor. It always opens the only folder I ever use with it. If nothing else that´s more convinient than using VS Code for that imo.

1 Like

I use Atom for most other things. Is there a way to have these in Atom?

Both Atom and VS are not as lightweight as I was hoping for, but if either are the best solution, then that’s fine.

Double click on one file for text view, right click => markdownview on it again. If it isn´t in split screen view already, witch it does for me by default when it´s empty before, you move it.

There is nothing you have to install for the side by side view to work.

About PDF export, I´m not sure never needed it. For me the point of markdown notes is that they are simple plain text files that need no space. I don´t send it to other people usually. They are note for me, by me.

But there is this

Never tried it.

2 Likes

It’s like atom but more stable (from my experience at least). Good support from Microsoft, lots of good plugins too.

I know, but I put it into the “developement tools” bin for me. I like to have a seperate program for note taking, so that it opens the folder right away where my notes are. (as I said already)

Git uses markdown for readme files and so forth. That´s probably the main reasons these editors have good markdown support.

Thinking about what I just wrote… Gitlab can render and edit markdown files! :open_mouth: Oh my gosh, why did I never think about that? That might just make it that much better compared to dropbox, nextcloud & co! Viewing it on mobile without needing a program or anything.