Recommendations on a digital drawing tablet for a 10 year old

Hello! Looking for a digital drawing tablet that can be connected to her computer. She is a really talented artist. We tried cheap ones from Amazon that we returned. Heard good things about Wacom but looking for recommendations.

i have a wacom pen and touchā€¦ cost less than 50 and it works well.
the software is simple to use. the tablet easy to set up.

my only reservation would be they aint that robust.
so may not stand up to a 10 yo :slight_smile:

1 Like

seems the pen and touch is out of production now. this above seems to be its replacement :slight_smile:

1 Like

Huion has some OK stuff. Iā€™m not really an artist but I did get this one, and itā€™s pretty fun to use with Blender. Itā€™s bigger than Wacom for the same price.

Hey, could be something for @kreestuh to look into and do a couple of reviews - how it compares to Wacom, XPPen, and iPad?

2 Likes

Wacom is definitely still the standard if youā€™re looking for something to connect to a PC. But last time I looked theyā€™re pretty pricey, at least if you want one that you can draw directly on screen with. (Personally I find drawing on the screen preferable since itā€™s less of a learning curve-- otherwise you have to learn to draw while looking away from your hand, which can be a bit frustrating).

As much as we roast Apple on our channel, I will admit that I am still ride or die for the Apple Pencil. A lot of the newer/cheaper model iPads support the Pencil by default now (initially it was just the Pro models) and the pencil is probably the most natural feeling stylus that Iā€™ve ever used. It responds well to different pressure and there isnā€™t any input lag at all. Iā€™ve also had the same one for almost 5 years and itā€™s still going strong-- the iPad is still responsive as ever and the Pencil is still on the same nib it came with.

Obviously this would likely be more expensive than some other entry-level tablets, but it might not be a bad option depending on what her needs are.

2 Likes

I use a https://www.amazon.com/Laminated-Graphics-Shortcut-Compatibility-Androidļ¼ˆBlackļ¼‰/dp/B0B1LZCBMJ/ xppen 13, i havenā€™t had any issues with it on linux, donā€™t know about windows though

1 Like

iPad + pen.

1 Like

wacom has the best pen drawing experience and build quality, but itā€™s expensive, you can get a ā€œone by wacomā€, which is the cheapest from this brand.
In addition, you can get one from other affordable chinese brand include huion, xppen, veikk, etc.
pctechtest site has many good info about free digital painting apps and drawing tablets.

1 Like