Recommendations for Mini PCs with IOMMU

I’ve been using a GMKtec Nucbox2 Plus with an i5-1135G7 in it as a Proxmox node for quite some time. While it’s very capable I was trying to set up iGPU Passthrough to a Ubuntu Server 22.04 virtual machine for transcoding with Jellyfin but it seems it’s not supported.

I wanted to add another node anyway for HA so I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on mini PCs that support IOMMU. Beelink, Minisforum, etc.

Thanks!

I think your biggest issue is that you’ll need a second GPU for your main OS to use. Maybe you can run Jellyfin in a container, then it can borrow the iGPU QuickAssist more easily.

1 Like

I’ve seen great things on the spec sheets and preliminary findings of Minisforum MS-01 owners. The Minisforum MS-01 provides a slot for a discrete GPU (PCIe 4.0 x8 electrical/x16 physical). The IOMMU groups are also divvied up nicely. And it supports a U.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD.

There are some issues with the first batch though (with the SMBus/RAM/PCIe AICs). I’d wait for the dust to settle if possible.

Actually, also worth mentioning that the M720q (and higher) line of lenovo mini PCs can fit PCI-e cards, including some slimline GPUs. They are quite affordable second hand in many places.

This would be the easiest path. The tteck helper scripts set it up as part of their setup, but otherwise the ‘/dev/dri/<appropriate renderD###>’ is what you need to mount on the container.

For the Proxmox LXC container section specifically: Intel GPU | Jellyfin