Recommendations for home APs?

Wonder teklager managed to get stock cause of previous commitments; I was surprised as anyone that they listed anything PC Engine, though the options are limited

Probably this… As usual, the Austrialian pricing is weird and I’d rather not pay x3 the price… I just need the board…
Oh wait… I need the chassis as well because of the ports… :sob:

1 Like

nope something’s wrong with their pricing too…

and the 4 port is out of stock…

Both their pricing is well outside what I am willing to pay… not gonna eat up the scalper level pricing… Its like paying for GPUs… Jesus its like 2x the price…

Anyway I’m off to pick up wife…

1 Like

it is a going to cost me like 2x as much as normal between shipping and everything, but it is what it is

This is the specific model I was looking at

Now, normally, I’d agree with you, but eh the prices aren’t so insane given it’s only like 80 extra? when converted to USD

1 Like

The purchasing power of our currency doesnt really translate well outside the country, especially where computer components are concerned.

Anyway to change topic, you made the right timing to get back @PhaseLockedLoop and @THEkitchenSINK and others were spamming youtube links and were having a music jam, some to my taste, some not. Was fun but a headache to wade through if you’re like me and would like to read most if not all of the backlog message.

3 Likes

Oh, absolutely.

So far so good, very happy with the UAP 6 Lite. I’m failing to get the wild gig+ speeds that wifi 6 advertises, but I’m getting a consistent 450mbps all across my house, with multiple devices simultaneously. Frankly, I suspect the low performance is limitations of the client devices. Newest laptop I’ve got is a Framework and while it’s good, I don’t think that thing has a super powerful wireless module installed.

So at the end of the day, I’ll give them 4/5 and I would definitely recommend them as bang for your buck.

2 Likes

Awesomesauce! I don’t need a whole bunch of wifi speed, just something that actually works with out me having to be my own IT support lol

2 Likes

yeah, it’ll fill that role.

2 Likes

Lol kinda wish you’d said otherwise, now I kinda want to go with the UDMP + AP even worse :sweat_smile:

update: so I kinda shot myself in the foot by hesitating at cart lol the PC Engine is now all sold out

BUT! for those wondering, they expect to have more in 2-3 weeks

2 Likes

My U6-LR (ordered on release January 2021), and a 2019 bought on release pixel 4 - generally in the 500 range between upper floor and ground floor.

fast.com

I’m using Debian on an old n3150-itx board as a router, with unattended-upgrades and kexec (no failover) and that’s been rock solid too (only using unifi for 2 APs and 2 small switches).

1 Like

I don’t necessarily trust fast.com

It told me I was getting 1.2gbps over gigabit Ethernet a couple months back. I think they’re warlocks or something.

1 Like

My iperf3 usually matches fast.com, speedtest.net was fine until recently.

iperf3

speedtest in the morning

1 Like

Is it fiber from your ISP? Usually 1Gbps fiber is actually 1.25Gbps for various technical reasons, usually encoding type.

1 Like

Docsis 3.1, and “1gbps” is actually 930

Besides, you can’t do more than 1gbps over 1gbps cat6

3 Likes

FWIW, just got a new phone - a Pixel 6 Pro, Speedtest wifi speed increased, unsurprisingly (using u6-lr accesspoint)

3 Likes

I just installed 2 AP’s for what it’s worth. For a 3000 sq.ft Home currently using 2 TP-Link Omadas and a Netgear AX router for almost 90% coverage. Most of my home is wired but wanted some WiFi access in around the property.

My PC engine APU2E5 comes in tomorrow; should be able to report how it is this weekend :slight_smile:

Edit:

This is your PSA that stock is back in!

1 Like

I have a Unifi u6-lr and it’s working fine so far.

The only issues I’ve got with it is it’s compatibility with the unmanaged netgear jgs524 or netgear jgs516 switches … as in it doesn’t connect to them at all.

It work with the netgear gs108 but at 100 Mbps. I’m sure if I spent the money on the Unifi switch it would make a difference (I’m open to suggestions).

The only reboots I’ve had to due is for firmware updates / power outages. And I’ve had it installed for a few months now.

My $0.02 for what it’s worth!