Recommendations for home APs?

Na man Rukus Master Race, I heard good things about TP link

2 Likes

I’ve had hit and miss with Mikrotik, on balance more miss.
With Ubiquiti, I’m using ac lite, and u6-lr successfully. One ac lite was failing to negotiate 1gbps with the switch on arrival, it got swapped immediately for another new unit that worked fine.

I haven’t tried OpenWRT on either, so far they’re ok. OpenWRT on Mikrotik helps with stability but performance is even worse.

2 Likes

im not a fan of Unifi, they dont have a published roadmap or support plan for what they claim are enterprise AP’s.

I expect 5 years of development support and 5 years of security support from anything infrastructure related.

2 Likes

That’s been my experience with unifi so far, but just in case I got the more modern u6-lr (instead of u6-lite) and fingers crossed I don’t need to reach into OpenWRT (I got ac lite back when they first appeared around 2015-2016, and they still get updates).

1 Like

I’m considering switching one of my ac pro over to openwrt to play around with it and see if it’ll help.

From there, I may upgrade to the u6-lr or I might just go ruckus. Honestly, so many choices and no clear winner here.

1 Like

I will try to test my TP-Links this weekend and report back.

2 Likes

So after some soul-searching I went ahead and ordered a UAP wifi 6 lite. We’ll see how it goes.

4 Likes

Let me know how Ansible automation goes if you decide to try that.

I am debating getting a UniFi wAP of some sort in the near future and I don’t want a cloud key just to control one device.

2 Likes

I’m probably just going to keep it on the unifi tool if I stick with these APS.

Unless I openwrt them.

3 Likes

Would be interesting to openWRT like half of them and see if there is a noticeable performance difference.

4 Likes

I tried on my older UAP and it was more PITA than just replacing my AP’s. I was going to have to fabricate a special serial cable that could plug into the system board and it just became too much work.

4 Likes

Sorry to revive this thread, but wanted to check in on how the devices have worked out for you @SgtAwesomesauce

I’m moving apts and currently evaluating what I want to do for a homenetwork (can’t take the eero with me lol)

debating going full UDM Pro + UAP wifi 6 lite/pro, APU2E5 using OpenWrt, or doing Eero again

1 Like

APU are out of stock. You referring to PC engines?

Yep; was gonna just order it pre assembled and configured from teklager

They have stock?

According to the site; seems it just came on the 7th based on the lead times they posted for parts

…hopefully, I’m not jinxing myself lol

Oh wow! PC engine’s main site shows out of stock last I checked…

Order it now before it gets snatched up.

haha I just shot them an email actually; debating getting two, just in case cause of the shortage issues

just ain’t sure I want to go full homebrew vs an out of the box solution

if this was for a house, I’d probably go for full UDMP setup without even thinking about it that much; just seems over the top for apt

1 Like

Yep PC engines still has no stock…

I regret cheaping out on a dual NIC setup… should have gotten the 4 NIC model… never knew I’d attempt the whole rack life back then… I was just trying to be secure and private…

1 Like