Recommendations based on the following requirements

Hi all,

I’m looking for a laptop but finding it quite hard to find what I want.

I want something to replace my 2011 Macbook Air, a computer that I only run Linux on (wiped the MacOS the day I purchased it).

I need a laptop that has HDMI 2.0 and will output a 4K signal as I just upgraded my desktop display to a 49" 4K curved Samsung TV and it only has HDMI inputs (no Display Port).

I’d like something with at least a 15" display (does not need to have a 4K display - only needs to output 4K externally).

I’d like it to be fairly slim and lightweight as I’ll be carrying it from home to office and back at least 4 days a week.

! want it to work nicely with Linux and as I’m not loaded I’m looking for something from the 2018 ranges so that the price will be as low as possible.

Too big an ask?

Just added… I don’t play games and I don’t edit Videos. This is only for accessing web sites and things like Google Docs/Sheets. I manage websites so 90% of what I do is done in Chrome.

something newer in intel would probably suffice. whats your target price point?

Something like a thinkpad T560 would work, there’s also the XPS15, it just depends how much you’re willing to spend and how much things like serviceability matter.

Serviceability? I’ve had a Macbook Air for 8 years that can’t be serviced (not easily anyway). Part of the reason I’m buying a new laptop is I have a new job that requires I spend some time in an office, rather than working from home. I’ll get them to provide me with a large UHD display like I have at home, so the laptop needs to drive that.

I’ve done a bit more reading and discovered that Thunderbolt 3 outputs a 4K@60hz signal, so that makes finding a laptop easier as now instead of specifically looking for HDMI 2 to HDMI 2, I can look for one with a Thunderbolt 3 port(s).

My budget is about US$ 650, preferably less.