Recommend Your Favorite Documentaries

So I recently watched the documentary on TPB, and since I'm staying home from school today I may as well use this free time to watch more. So what are your favorite documentaries? I like astronomy (well, fuck it. I like all science) and the like. Just no pop-culture, "brain gelatinizing" bullshit.

No End in Sight about the Iraq War was very good as was Iraq For Sale about the contractors and how they ripped of the Govt. 

Countdown to Zero about nuclear weapons was amazing.

Gasland about hydraulic fracturing was really interesting as well. (This one is actually completely true too. I live about 10min from the guy who made it and know him quite well. I've actually lit my friends water on fire so it isn't BS like some people claim)

This Film is Not Yet Rated about the MPAA and ratings. 

Freakonomics

Religulous

Dirty Wars

The Billionaires Tea Party

Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism

Those are some of my favorites and they should all be available on Netflix. 

Thats quite a lot, thanks (: I should be occupied all day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_OuKwwzTvs

I personally enjoy documentaries about military history. Usually ancient history or the medieval era. This ww2 series was quite interesting.

Any specific Middle Ages/Gothic/Medieval documentaries you can recall that were good? 

Military oriented if applicable.

Metal: a Headbangers Journey. (how i found out there was more metal beyond the MEtallica/Megadeth/Pantera my radio station played)

Side by Side (great doc about celluloid film vs Digital)

Room 237 (about the movie 'The Shining'. all the weird conspiracy theories behind it)

If you want to watch one on a video game community that has been around science 2003 there is one called The Smash Brothers and its about the competitive scene of super smash bros melee and its very good. Its all on youtube.

I don't remember specific documentaries. I would often type in "history documentary" into Youtube and view what popped up. There was a lot of misinformation and myth in a many of them, they weren't entirely factual. But yeah, I do recommend searching for things like the Knights Templar, or the Hundred Years War. They keep me entertained for hours. Just make specific searches for weapon types or gothic style armour.

You might consider searching for specific battles throughout history. e.g Battle of Agincourt, Battle of Morgarten. Or Roman history; the Battle of Teutoburg Forest. See if they spill into other battles that you might consider viewing. 

• Religulous: I'm an atheist and this documentary points out everything I hate about religion.
  • /watch?v=E2zhlDbMfDg
  • The Story of Mojang: The creators of Minecraft are intriguing people and I enjoyed listening to their story.
  • /watch?v=ySRgVo1X_18
  • The Poetry of Science: While not a documentary (it's more a conversation), I can't resist including something with Neil deGrasse Tyson and Richard Dawkins.
  • /watch?v=9RExQFZzHXQ

Who killed the Electric Car, Great look at the rise and then abrupt stop by higher powers of electric cars.

I have more but I need to look up Netflix to get the names. 

Genius on Hold (2012) - it is about the life of Walter T. Shaw and his relationship with AT&T. I'm sure Wendell would enjoy it.
Steal This Film (2009)
CitizenFour
In the Realm of the Hackers - about early hackers like Julian Assange
We Steal Secrets: the Story of Wikileaks
The Unknown Known
The Corporation

This Film is Not Yet Rated <--- This is a good one, if you can find it.

Oh wow some of these documentaries sound interesting. I think I'll occupy my day with these documentaries as well. I've only watched citizenfour.

Forks Over Knives
I love nutritional science so I would recommend this. I think it contains information that people should know about.

If you want to know more about nutritional science, I recommend watching the Year-in-reviews by Dr.Greger. They're not documentaries but the information he shares is closer to science than what documentaries would give you. He does a good job dumbing down the research papers so that the layman can understand but doesn't deviate too much from the research papers as to distance the audience from the science provided by the original researchers. There's also a bit of humor involved so it's not dry. I recommend having a basic understanding of biology(high school biology) to get a better understanding of the talk.

Uprooting the Leading Causes of Death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gEiweaAVQ

More Than an Apple a Day: Preventing Our Most Common Diseases: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-8ovk81nNM

From Table to Able: Combating Disabling Diseases with Food: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DCjwIVJmMw

Food as Medicine: Preventing and Treating the Most Common Diseases with Diet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0IhZ-R1O8g

Encounters at the end of the world: A documentary about the people who live and work on Antarctica.

You can always watch the Cosmos series (both the Carl Sagan and Neil Degrasse Tyson versions)

Everything by Adam Curtis I would personly start with bittler lake given its the most recent and relevant and for the second I would suggest The Century of the Self. After you watch these two you will know what his documentary's are like.

This pretty much. Be sure to read Greenwald's "Nowhere to hide" as well. Citizenfour is just a few chapters of that book, the rest is the story leading up to it and more info on the leaked documents, their impact etc.

EDIT : Also :

• Terms and Conditions May Apply
  • TPB AFK
  • Freddie Mercury : Lover of Life, Singer of Songs

Triumph of the Nerds: The Rise of Accidental Empires

These are my favourites

Marwencol

Joderowoski's Dune

Fog of War

1 Like