Recommend Gaming Laptop [Black Friday]

I’m interested in picking up a gaming laptop for my son. He’s 10 and has been using an iPad for the past 5 years. However, his desktop is my old 2700K running Ubuntu 22.04. His iPad is slowly dying and he asked for laptop. He’ll be running Ubuntu on it because that’s just what we use. I know Windows is the defacto gaming platform but I have no issues using steam, wine, palyonlinux etc. Plus he has started to learn the terminal and python so I want that to continue.

Budget is around $1200.

If you have seen any good deals in that range, please let me know. I have no idea what specs to look for since I am not a gamer.

Ok… Have my eye on this. Seems ok.

newegg item: 1. N82E16834840205

I daily drive this on Fedora:

Everything works except for the fingerprint reader. Its a bit older but it has a numpad, trackpad is decent with plenty of connectivity options.

It can run Baldurs Gate 3 on a decent framerate but with decreased resolution and decreased detail. DLSS will save you here.

It should work on Ubuntu as well but you wont be running with SecureBoot on. You could sign it yourself each time you upgrade the kernel but I just run it without SecureBoot.

1 Like