Recent build: Do I have a bad processor?

I recently built my new desktop in an ITX case with a Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI and an R9 3900X. I’ve had some weird issues in linux that I’m not sure how to troubleshoot. A number of games crash soon after launching like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Dishonored. The crashes kill X and require a reboot. I can’t successfully build LLVM as it fails in testing. I sent the motherboard back as an RMA when I realized it didn’t see anything plugged into the sata ports, but Gigabyte now claims it tested good. I’m wondering if I got a faulty CPU. It’s persisted across several BIOS revisions. Could this cause these bugs? Are there specific tests on linux that I can run to figure out where the problem lies?

Those all sound like video issues to me. What distro are you using?

1 Like

I’m running Arch and have followed the instructions in many different ways from the arch wiki on Navi. I’m just not sure how to verify where the issue is. The broken SATA and tested good motherboard, as well as recently throwing BAD on folding@home results makes me think it’s something to do with the processor. It’s especially hard with the beta nature of navi on linux at the moment.

Most of my similar problems have been caused by memory issues.

Make sure you have run a long-running Memtest. And even if your memory passed, try running it at standard 2,400 MHz DDR4 speed to see if any of your problems go away.

I had serious problems with some HyperX 3,600 RAM which tested fine but had obvious memory corruption failures during 24 thread software compilation. I’m talking about things like failure to link because of obviously misspelled symbol names.

That was not really the RAM’s fault, it started happening with one of the BIOS updates and since I was installing ECC RAM anyway I never went back to fix it. Probably needed some slightly higher voltage levels.

Once I installed the ECC RAM and set it for default 2,666 MHz clocks, almost all my problems with software compile and Vega GPU IOMMU errors disappeared.

1 Like

That doesn’t sound much like CPU issues I’ve run into, but anything is possible. I’ve also not really encountered a lot of bad new CPUs as both Intel and AMD have fairly severe quality control, so unless you damaged it during the build (can happen, used to be more common) or something happened in transport, it’s highly unlikely. What CAN be a more likely problem is overclocking and the particular package you get not being able to handle the same overclock others have gotten, or any overclock.

Are you overclocking? If so, step it back to base and see if there is a problem.

Otherwise, to troubleshoot more:

1. To look for CPU issues, you could find various testers, but a simple thing is to run stress (command line, but basic commands once you have it would be something like stress -c 24 or however many threads the R9 3900X has). This will make your cpu run at 100% on all threads for a while, which can help check for heat issues or reliability issues if running high causes it to crash. There are some othersones that do better checking for errors to find, but thats a simple and quick one.

2. Are you running those games through something like WINE or Proton, or native linux? Make sure you are running the linux versions, otherwise, the problem could be in WINE etc, even if it previously worked.

3. Don’t know if arch has the same commands, but there should be logs of the errors or ways to set persistent logs that you can check after a crash to see if it runs into an error and what it is able to catch, or at least see what the last log is before the crash. Some games will make this, but you can get the system to make logs too.

Otherwise, if you are able to get to the terminal during a crash (again, not sure about Arch, but in others you can sometimes do alt+ctrl f2 or others to switch to another terminal even when x crashes) you can try dmesg or equivalent to read what is happening on the system and get some clues.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.