Rebooting the router vs waiting for a reconnect

Good day, community.

Here’s a question, that makes to question my life decisions once in a while…

Have an ASUS RT-AC87U router, which uses a PPPoE connection. It seems to be working absolutely fine (although I have a scheduled reboot every night), but then I get a disconnect by WAN. I can wait and hope for it to reconnect, but in the majority of cases, where I actually need the internet “here and now” I once again see a strange behavior:

Jun 24 20:14:44 pppd[745]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Jun 24 20:14:47 WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
Jun 24 20:14:47 DualWAN: skip single wan wan_led_control - WANRED off
Jun 24 20:14:50 pppd[745]: Connection terminated.
Jun 24 20:14:50 pppd[745]: Modem hangup
Jun 24 20:15:35 pppd[745]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jun 24 20:16:50 pppd[745]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jun 24 20:18:05 pppd[745]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jun 24 20:19:20 pppd[745]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jun 24 20:20:35 pppd[745]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jun 24 20:21:50 pppd[745]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jun 24 20:23:05 pppd[745]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jun 24 20:24:20 pppd[745]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jun 24 20:25:35 pppd[745]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

I’ve looked at this for over 20 minutes, and ONCE AGAIN decided to try that “Have you tried turning it off and on” via reboot. And once again… here I am with the network connecting correctly without any issue.

I would assume that this may have some relation to the router dropping its session for 2-3 mins while the reboot goes on, but when I call the support I usually get “There’s nothing wrong. Other apartments seem to online. Please try connecting the cable directly to the PC (which seems to be working, but the last times, I don’t even bother calling to hear that sentence)”.

I’m starting to look at other routers, but really don’t want to buy another one just to prove this version (plus it was quite expensive, and I do like how it performs in all other cases).

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

What is the Tine To Live set to on your router? Your ISP may have a much shorter/longer window than what you have configured. I have an ASUS router (RT-N66U). When I was on DSL i had to manually adjust some settings since I was using the ISP modem as a bridge unit.

On restart, your router should take care of everything if you are using the modem as a bridge unit. If your modem is not set to bridge, then you need to disable the PPoE feature on your router because it causes issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply,
My case isn’t a bridge, at least in the way I see it. There is a centralized “box”, to which my router is connected using PPPoE and credentials, but no separate modem at my side.

Will look into the ttl question.