Reasonable alternatives to Mullvad VPN?

Hello all,

Long time lurker here and I have been looking for sometime now for alternatives to Mullvad VPN.
Ever since they have disabled port forwarding I have been getting issues with the service, connection speeds suddenly dropping and weird disconnections.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a reasonable alternative with similar features and price, I would like to pay monthly if possible so I am not tied to for a year or more.

I was considering Proton VPN or IVPN thoughts on both? or any other recommendations?

and no I do not want to “make my own VPN” …at least not yet.

Thanks in advance

I’ve been happy with airvpn

1 Like

I’ve been using ProtonVPN, and it’s been awesome. I didn’t intentionally get it, but got it packaged as part of Proton’s visionary plan back when it was offered.

I know you’re looking for a VPN, but I highly recommend the entire Proton suite given that their entire business centers client privacy as a priority.

1 Like

Tagging for similar interest. Don’t have a particular problem with mullvad, but always interested to find the “best” VPN. Mullvad’s price is reasonable and commitment to privacy strong and the most transparent I can see, but that comes with the downside of it being much easier to block since they publish their server details.

FWIW to the OP, I am currently using mullvad (upon recommendation of this forum’s users), and have previously used ExpressVPN, surfshark, and proton. I was not impressed with surfshark and to a lesser extent proton. I wouldn’t mind going back to express if I had to. Proton isn’t completely ruled out either to be clear, but my short time with them was less than 100%. I found mullvad to be as good or better performance wise, plus the completely anonymous account/payment system that was as easy as ordering a scratch card from amazon.

1 Like

Been using Windscribe for years and recently got myself 2 months of Mullvad to see what it was all about and I was dissapointed. I did experience disconnections, really slow speeds and also few websites have their servers blocked. Windscribe is much better overall IMO.

1 Like

Thank you all for the replies

I have been continuing my research on it and found this link VPN Comparisons(reddit)

So I think I will try Proton VPN at the end of month and if I am not satisfied will go down from the list.

I don’t use a vpn, but I filter my portable computer network using rethink dns. Recently (long awaoted) updated tp be able to block domains dorectly from the app, no matter what dns provider you choose, so I just stick with the basics.

It’s like pi-hole for mobile, and no need for fancy services. I like that it shows all network connections so I know exactly what’s left the devices antenna, what’s been resolved/loaded and blocked.

Cloudflare warp looks interesting, andcthey use some custom wireguard software, but I had issues getting it to work. Seems like a reasonable option though

I always wanted to try https://www.azirevpn.com/ since they added port forwarding:
https://blog.azirevpn.com/port-forwarding/

But I still have Mullvad credits…