Reapplying thermal paste

I’ve just watched the video linked below, where Der8auer states that you should reapply thermal paste every 12months. In my opinion, this seems on the excessive end, isn’t it? What are your thoughts on this subject?

1 Like

For OCing, no idea.

On the CPU: Every 4 years (so basically when the machine feels old).
On the GPU: High-end cards, 2 years. Mid- and Low-End, a decade later.

2 Likes

For a certain kinds of thermal paste… Not all pastes are the same. Some of them have short life span, so yes. My Arctic MX-2 haven’t changed at all for the last couple years…

3 Likes

This is speculation, but I imagine that der8auer’s threshold for needing to change thermal paste is any measurable change in thermal performance, no matter how slight.

2 Likes

If you notice your machine is either clocking lower or unstable at the clocks you set when you bought it then reapplying paste should be part of your troubleshooting process. Otherwise don’t worry about it.

5 Likes

Thanks to all of you. Yeah, Der8auer’s standards might be higher.

Anyway, I’m using this thermal paste, which is sticky and not fouid at all. So, accordimg to to the vid above I should be good:

I don’t think a machine used like a normal person requires such a frequent change of thermal paste. It’s not like a there are extreme heat cycles going on at all times. Most likely an average user has a big heat cycle when gaming but it’s just one or two cycles per day at best. But I think that someone chewing through heavy workloads all the times should keep it in check and change it a bit more frequently.
On notebooks it should be changed often (every two years I guess) since any kind of medium to heavy load causes a big rise in temperatures.

2 Likes

The less you mess with stuff the longer your MB will last
Also
Always use the paste that came with your cooler.
Always stick the plastic cover on the cooler base somewhere like the fridge
“Did I take that thing off???”
“Yep”
GN is awesome, but they can be a little obsessive

3 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t intend to change my thermal paste that often. To be honest, I hope it will last a lifetime and unless I notice a temperature increase, I won’t change it

In my experience it really varies from paste makers and workload, sustained CPU/GPU load it’ll shorten the paste life so 12-36 months could be a reasonable range. If the paste is sticky it’ll usually never change as quickly which is why heatsinks found on EVGA GPUs aren’t dried out vs some of the other GPUs I’ve seen over the years, there are liquid-like paste with an extremely short thermal performance curve(12-24 months).

Some experiences:
–Stock heatsink may it be AMD or Intel typically has a 3-5yr thermal life before it turns into a dry glue or cement like texture which is a very gross mess to clean up. Whatever stuff Intel uses isn’t as bad as AMD’s paste.

–Arctic MX4 is the most stable.

3 Likes

The preaplied stuff does that, yes. On AMD, it “cures” to an extent where inexperienced people might rip the CPU from the socket.

In my experience, White spirit (german: Waschbenzin) works amazingly well to clean it up.

Which is why, I’m rather confident with my thermal paste. I’ve changed it two times in the last two years (for other reasons, Ryzen bug, got new CPU) and two times I was unable to remove the cooler without tearing the CPU out of the socket.

Usually go 4-6 years between changing it on a CPU. Put it on and after awhile tighten the cooler a little when it is hot and do that a few more times and get the same temps for 4-6 years. I use MX-2 and MX-4.

1 Like

give it a little twist before you pull it out

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Seriously though, I destroyed more than my fair share of P4s back in the day from that. A little twist breaks the suction.

1 Like

MX-4 FTW. One application of that stuff lasts longer than most of my relationships.

3 Likes

I knew that trick and tried it tue first time, didn’t work though. The secomd time I had prime95 runnimg for two hours and afterwards tried twisting it a little.

The first time, Ipthe paste didn’t nudge to twisting in any way whatsoever; the second time it nudged a little but it still didn’t help.

@Bartacus That would be nice really nice. (Considering I’m in a relationship for 12y know xD)

I change my thermal paste when I remember it, at least 12-18 months. It’s super simple, takes almost no time.

1 Like

That one made me chuckle.

Personally, with the amount of time, energy and money we put into our HEDTs, maintenance like reapplying thermal paste once a year doesn’t strike me as something that’s bothersome or worth much thought. I guess I don’t see it any differently than changing the oil in my car regularly to keep it performing well and extending its life or changing the air filter in my HVAC to better heat/cool my house. It’s maintenance that we do on things that we want to perform as best they can and last as long as we’d like them to.

Just one persons .02 worth though.

*Looks at soon to be 7-yr old pc in brother’s room *

yea, not happening.

2 Likes