Rattling on PSU Sleeve Fan

I have this power supply: https://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP163000554/

It’s mounted with fan facing down in my case, my case doesn’t allow any other orientation.

The fan rattles under load, which can be fixed by slapping the case a few times until it stops, but I don’t imagine that being good for the rest of the components, and it’s getting tiring.

I’m wondering if it would be possible to replace the fan inside. It is a 120mm fan and I have a spare one that I could use, but I’m not sure what sort of header it would have.

I also know it can be dangerous to work on power supplies, so I was wondering if anyone would have tech tips on how to do so safely, or if there are any disassembly guides.

I’ve searched the web for a little while but couldn’t find anything.

probably a two pin, some are soldered on , you can rip it out and just have the wire run out through the grate and hook it up to a Molex connector/fan controller/mobo

try not to touch anything inside, take off any jewelry and watches

if you don’t feel comfortable you can always get someone more experienced to do it for you

1 Like

That’s a good idea to connect it to mobo, thanks.
I’m not too uncomfortable disassembling things but figured it’d be good to get as much info as I can beforehand.

Cut the wire and splice in the replacement. EZPZ. If you want you can get some UY3M scotchlok connectors for ease of connection.

Don’t use the motherboard header. Most PSUs have some level of internal fan control. You don’t want to provide too little airflow.

1 Like

forgot to mention that, I’m a heathen that runs all fans at 100%, 100% of the time

Yeah this one has fan control but it may not match the spare fan I have at hand, I’ll go with splicing if it has same amount of connectors.

If I end up going for MB, I’ll definitely stick to a safer fan curve on the agressive side. I believe the fan I have is faster than the one in the PSU.

The only two connections of interest are the one on Pin 1 and Pin 2. Those two alone will make the fan spin.
Pin 3 is RPM feedback (fan telling the mobo/GPU/PSU how fast it is going).
Pin 4 is PWM (mobo/GPU/PSU telling the fan how fast to go).

1 Like

WHAT? I can’t hear what you say over the noise of my system…

On topic - honestly, I would open and try and clean and probably lubricate the fan at hand before replacing it…
I had a thing a while back multiple times actually, where my PSU fan becomes noticeable. Turns out this happens when my dust filter gets full of garbage. The fan struggles for air so it sounds faster. I clean the dust filter - I hear the sound of silence.

Also are you absolutely sure it’s the fan and not rattling from somewhere else? I mean if the PSU mounting doesn’t have antivibration pads or whatever it is entirely possible that the entire unit vibrates and when you slam the case it just gets at a place where it ain’t audable. Couple foam or rubber pads could be all you need…

I’m very sure it’s the PSU fan, caught it happening a couple times when the gpu and the case fans were off and I stopped the cpu fan with a finger and yet it continued.

I read that this is a common problem with sleeve fans, if I can clean and lubricate it to solve the problem I’d gladly go that route but I’m not sure what sort of lubricant I’d need for that. Just spray the joint with some wd40?

WD40 isnt a lubricant. Personally I’d use some gun lube but thats what I have laying around. mineral oil is a common household item.

I used silicone/gun lubricant to fix my old 140mm NZXT fan from 2008 that had locked up. Works like a dream now.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.