Rate?: 7950x3d & 4090 with a Aorus FO48U monitor

Hey everyone,

I have spent some time trying to setup a new build based on a ryzen 9 7950x3d with a 4090.
MY goal is to get as much native performance on my Aorus FO48U monitor which is 4K@120.

I’m planning to source everything except the M.2 in Denmark, so my currency is Danish Kroner AKA DKK.

Here is my list:
Partpicker list

I’m going to use it for gaming but also DevOps work.
My biggest concern is probably memory & cooling.

I am not 100% sure if air is good enough for 7950x3d, “multiple” people i know recommend water… but i don’t feel like going AIO on this build.

[update]
Had to choose an AIO instead, because i found out there were not enough clearance in the case for that cooler.

I would hold off on building a pc. We are only a little more than a week away from computex. A bunch of new stuff will be released which might change your build out.

oh i am not planning on buying this tomorrow :slight_smile:
This is only “first” iteration, just want to do some sparing with everyone about this build.
I haven’t build a computer from scratch since i build my i7-4790k in 2013 :joy: so i am quite “rusty” in selecting parts.

not sure what prices are like in your area but in the USA this has been a good time to pick up 2TB and 4TB SSD’s, prices have been dropping a lot lately, not sure what your other storage plans were but having 2TB++ in a single SSD is a very nice luxury.

and ofc I am a fan of 128GB+ memory but your needs may vary :slight_smile:

i personally am not a fan of water cooling if it can at all be avoided but seems like plenty of people are fine with them, and it seems like your case is designed for it

sabrent gaming m.2 1TB PCIe 4.0 on amazon in germany is 115,54 euro… so basically same in USD.
amazon.de link

i’m not sure if i should go with the heatsink edition.

Better not, as pretty much all motherboards have heatsinks provided.

You choose good parts. My only issue here is price to performance.

I would ditch the X670e motherboard and find a cheaper B650E motherboard. I would also look long and hard at the 7950x3d vs the 7800x3d. Unless you really can benefit from the extra cores, the 7800x3d is actually faster in most games.

If cores and memory truly make a noticeable difference in your workflow, you might want to consider shopping for a used Nvidia 4080 and use the money saved to buy a threadripper pro system.

Another option is to build two computers. One that is gaming focused, and another as a server to offload any heavy dev ops testing to.

I would need to know more about what you do with work to pass any kind of judgement.

why B650E over X670E ?
I think i would rather do 7950x3d, simply because of the higher core count and thread count.
the higher count would leave me an overhead on available resources when doing “office work” stuff, i can’t say right here how loaded the tasks would be for the stuff i’m going to use it for, so it’s kinda a “failsafe” for me to not hit a bottleneck.

i would not like to have 2 systems, because it doesn’t change my initial goal to get as much native performance out of my 4K@120 monitor, turning down to a 4080 wouldn’t give me higher performance in 4K@120 compared to 4090.
I would rather do radeon 7900 XTX than a 4080.

I could technically go with less high-end hardware if i didn’t have my 48" monitor that i truly love :slight_smile: if i had a 27" 2560x1440 @ 240 or something then it was a completely different talk.

Because ultimately there is very little practical difference between the two. Especially on the cheaper boards. X670e really only offers a few more PCIe 4.0 lanes through the chipset. This could be used for better rear IO, more sata ports, that sort of thing. Unless you use the extra IO, it is just a waste of money IMO.

And yeah, I agree if you don’t know what kind of workload your office stuff will put on your machine, then stick with your current build and just drop your motherboard back to a B650e to save yourself a few bucks. Outside of that, I think you are fine.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.