Raspberry Pi 5 Media Center - streaming widevine

Hi everyone, I’m in need of a streaming box to watch widevine protected content and I’d like to use a Pi 5 with something like LibreELEC or similar to avoid proprietary shitty devices like Amazon Fire sticks or similar devices.

Has anyone ever had luck streaming content like that with a Pi 5?

I much prefer having to tinker rather than giving into using such shitty devices that Amazon or Google will force me to swap out two or three years. And those can’t run, AFAIK, Steam Remote Play so that’s a minus for me too.

Thanks!

Apple TV and Nvidia Shield can do steam remote play and do encrypted content. (Not sure if you are 100% not wanting a main stream device)

Anything that can run steam should be able to do remote play so something like a pi or sff pc would probably work well.

Dell Wyse 5070 is pretty low power and cheaper that you could use as well. (like $30 range)

1 Like

It’s kind of confusing what widevine content you’re watching if not streaming services. YouTube, I guess?

I :heart:’d the other Apple TV suggestion, I chose Apple TV 4K so that any DRM shenanigans happen in a reputable ecosystem and the device itself has reasonable longevity. Steam Remote Play is a neat extra feature.

Honestly my idea was to get something more open I can still re-use into the future and doesn’t lock me in like an Android or Apple device.

1 Like

I specified it because LibreELEC is mostly used in conjuction with local content and not to stream from platforms.

1 Like

I’ll consider it if it outclasses by a lot all the other options. Even though I’m down to tinker as much as needed I want something that can be actually used.
The only thing that doesn’t sit right with me is creating another account for it.

If you have any significant others then the jank should be avoided for media consumption (just something else to remember, even just surround sound can be painful for the non enthusiast)

It’s only me for now, I wouldn’t put any significant other through my janky solutions for better privacy.