Ram overclocking timings question

im using corsair vengeance rgb pro 3000 mhz ram, my cpu is a ryzen 5 2600 overclocked to 4.2 ghz 1.4v stable, motherboard is a b450 tomahawk. first question is the ram is rated at cas latency 15, but it wont go lower than 16, i overclocked the ram to 3200 mhz and i had it down to 15, then i tried to overclock the ram to 3400 mhz which wasnt stable even with higher voltage. then i set the ram back to 3200 mhz and tried cas 15 again but i cant get it out of cas 16. also whats weird is in the bios it says its set to cas 15, but its actually at cas 16, any suggestions?

One of the settings, I think “geardown” mode will force CAS to always be even as a consequence of how it works under the hood.

Try setting it to 14.

is the bios setting the voltage correctly for the XMP?

with the bios version i have now, there is no geardown mode setting, kinda weird, and you think i should try cas 14 at 3200 mhz??

good question, there is no xmp setting/profile for 3000 mhz or 3200 mhz just 2666 mhz and 2933 mhz. i have it set to 3200 mhz 1.4v

are you sure you got the right kit?

On that board It may be hidden, and on all the time. Not sure.

But Yeah, try 14, at 3200 and lower if that doesn’t work. Same thing happens on my 1950x, 15 bumps up to 16, but 14 works fine. I can disable geardown mode but it doesn’t like that at all.

yep, the kit is listed in the qvl of my motherboard, but i noticed in the qvl, it said it operates at 2933 mhz, which is what the board supports with this ram. that explains why the xmp only has those 2 profiles of 2666 mhz and 2933 mhz.

if its b-die, you could give the ryzen dram calculator a go and see what it says.

no b-die, i wish, its micron.

1 Like

do you think 14-17-17-35 is ok with the command rate at 1?

I havent looked at it in a while but I thought I remember seeing somewhere that it would do micron e die as well.

1 Like

ok ill try 14, and no geardown option in my bios, i searched the whole bios.

Don’t know, but My command rate is set to 1T.

Just save/write down your settings. Worse that’ll happen is no boot requiring a bios reset.

lol, or it will blue screen me, when trying to boot into windows.

what? the ryzen calculator.

yeah

dont know how good it is, xmp was good enough for me.

I’m somewhat fortunate to have ECC with b-die. The automatic error correction makes things easier. I can even tell how unstable I made it from how quickly the error reports roll in. It’s also a good way to “prove” that my system really is stable. No error reports for a month and I’m good.

They need to make binned “extreme gaming ECC”

1 Like

true!!

i just went back down to 3200 mhz 1.4v cas 16, everything seems 100% stable. i guess going from 3000 mhz to 3200 mhz is still decent.