RAM is not detected properly on new motherboard

Hi everybody!

I just replaced my motherboard with an MSI B450M Mortar Max because of random freezes with the old board (ASRock AB350M Pro4).
I reused all other parts:

• Ryzen 5 1600
  • 2x 8GB G.Skill RipJaws V 3200
  • Sapphire RX 560

Now when I boot into BIOS it detects the RAM correctly in the right slot (2x8 G.Skill), but it still says total physical DRAM memory is 8GB. Booting into Linux yields the same result, it only detects 8 GB.

I already tried booting with only one of either of the two and both booted and were detected as 8GB. I also swapped the sticks and it booted with only 8GB physical memory being detected.

Trying to boot with only one stick in one of the B slots resulted in no boot, but I guess thats just by design?

Unfortunately, while replacing, I dropped the CPU and some pins bent lightly. I readjusted them with a razor blade and it went in the new socket without a problem (it sits flush on all edges).

Now I don’t really now if it’s a defect motherboard, a defect CPU or incompatible RAM that causes the problem.

Any clue?

Did you already update the bios to the latest version?

Good point, I just updated it to the latest non-beta version (was just one version behind). No luck. :confused:

I will try the beta later, which contains AGESA ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.6.
EDIT: Same thing with the latest 7B89v284(Beta version)

This really sounds like a damaged CPU. It seems to be the only common element.

I will probably put together the old motherboard build again, tomorrow. Just to be sure.
It could still be a faulty motherboard, after all…

If it really is the CPU, I at least have an excuse to by the new gen Ryzen :wink:

And do both RAM modules detect properly when installed into the same DIMM slot on the motherboard by themselves ?

So if both sticks detect as a proper single STICK in both the BIOS and the OS, then I would try a single stick in ALL the DIMM slots.

See if maybe one of the channels is NOT detecting which could indicate an issue with the CPU.

It could also be the reason why you were having problems with the old motherboard too.

1 Like

Just to wrap this up real quick:
I ended up putting 8GB sticks in each of the four slots and only 16 GB were detected.

So I replaced the CPU and now 32GB are detected and additionally many problems are gone that I had previously not even connected to the CPU.

TL;DR: Defective CPU.

Thanks to all of you.

Nice that you figured it out, too bad it was the CPU.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.