Raid driver for TRx4 on Linux

Hello,
Does anyone successfully installed rcraid drivers for RAID on Linux ?
Well basic question really is do those drivers are supported on TRx4 ?

Reason why I do ask is that after patching official drivers I had to uninstall them as they crashed on Debian 10.2 stable (stock kernel).

Anyone have some noob guide for installing them on Linux?

This is for Asus Zenith II Extreme mobo.

What is the requirement that you use the rcraid driver over Linux’s native RAID capabilities?

I have HV RAID 0 on 2 drives non OS ones on TRx40 platform.
Using mobo RAID so I don’t need to tinker with each OS (using Windows and Linux).

Coming form x299 it was as simple as installing drivers and IIRC Linux did provided them out of the box so nothing needed to be done there but with TRx4 platform it’s different and drivers are not provided out of the box.

There is no requirement and I can live without RAID on Linux side of things this is just media drive and main reason and ONLY one for using RAID on those 2 drives is… to much drives in system :D. So I want to minimize them as much as possible. Data is backed up so no need to worry about RAID KIA.

Bottom line I want to make everything work on Linux side for TRx40 platform nothing more.

Bump.
No one uses RAID on TRx4 ?

I haven’t come across anyone.
I’m on an x399 board, and use software raid (zfs) with a HBA for extra drives.

After contacting AMD this is what I got:

Thank you for the email.

I am sorry, but the driver support is limited to Windows OS only from AMD. You will have to check with Linux forums for assistance on RAID drivers for Linux.
Thank you for contacting AMD.

So yeah, AMD HEDT platform with 64 core CPU supported doesn’t support RAID on Linux… I don’t know if I should laugh or cry to be honest, as an owner probably second.

it’s not hardware raid. it’s jsut basic software raid. you’re running HEDT, just use a standard mdadm mirror if it’s boot, and ZFS on anything else.

rcraid is a seagate driver for windows and windows only.

@Commissar
What’s not HW RAID ?
I’m talking about Raidxpert2. I don’t know underlying implementation, maybe it’s like IRST with is hybrid but still it’s transparent to host OS.

And with mdadm I can’t access it directly, without any VM etc., on Windows can I ?

rcraid - AFAIKT it works on Linux with those drivers, there are also patches for kernel 5, link.

it’s shitty software raid.

Can You elaborate more ? What’s shitty software raid ?

rcraid. it is not supported by any distro at all.
just throw windows in a KVM. dualboot is so 2013.

rcraid - I don’t understand Your point, I see on github Linux driver, people do report that it works for them on earlier AMD boards, so to me it’s supported by Linux.

Doesn’t matter what You think of dual boot, it do works for me and if my host OS crashes for whatever reason I can still work booting into other system. And now because I don’t see that RAID in Linux portion of data is not accessible from Linux so that’s a problems for me.

I came from x299 platforms and as much as I hate to admit moving to AMD HEDT is disappointment. SATA performs worse, not deal breaker but still, ASUS mobo are crap for any audio work as SPDIF doesn’t work (confirmed on 2 SKU, 3 different boards, at least by 2 users, I’m one of them), and now that RAID issue. Only strong point is CPU performance for MT workload with is great, rest mediocre at best considering price point of this platform.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.