Radeon VII Owners Club (The Non Early-Adopters Edition)

That’s annoying. I don’t know why AMD would cripple the Radeon VII. Although dis-continued it’s their flagship card right now.

Does rolling back the radeon driver easily fix it? … I know there are plenty of modding tools floating around out there like Igor’s More Power Tools.

I chose to use MPT rather than roll back the drivers. So I’m down 100mhz in clock speed, but on the latest drivers, so I guess that’s a give / take.

Ayyy RVII bois! I’ve had my RVII since uh… like 34 hours or so after launch? (ordered it 3 hours after launch, just before it went out of stock, got it overnighted and was hands on after work the next day).

Mostly got it because I loved my Vega FE (sadly never got my hands on a Vega 56 or 64 LE tho), tweaking on the Vega cards gives you more options than comparative Pascal/Turing stuff. In games I never noticed a real difference between the RVII and my Gaming X 1080 Ti, thus why I traded away the 1080 Ti and kept the RVII (more sentimental value and the stock cooler is prettier lmao). Probably could’ve gotten better perf from putting my 1080 Ti on water instead, but eh I usually make hardware choices because I just like the stuff more for unknown reasons (like I have a penchant for Intel X chipsets, IDK why I just really like them). So far had a pretty good time, other than ReLive being much worse than ShadowPlay IMO.

I never saw much about the cooler fix, tbh should’ve tried that. Full stock, it’d easily hit 110C or higher on the hotspot unless I ramped the fans up really aggressively, and that’s quite loud (more annoying tone than my Vega FE was). I have mine on an EK block now.

I don’t have the best overclocker, best I’ve done so far was 2055, here’s a bench run with it at 2031Mhz or so: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/8393643

Welcome @ZandoBob , thank you for sharing your early adopter experience. Somebody had to try it on launch… sounds like you got one of the air coolers with bad contact at the outset. The waterblock is a good fix for that though.

1562 on the memory clock… that’s smoking fast! What voltages are you feeding that thing?

Holy crap, you can push HBM that high?!?!

Preeeetty sure 3DMark was reading funky, I was pushing the standard 1200Mhz on the VRAM (with powerplay tables you can get to 1300Mhz or higher apparently, haven’t tried those yet since toasting a card this expensive wouldn’t be too good). It reports the core as 2001 too, whereas it was boosting to 2030Mhz or so according to both GPU-Z and HWMonitor. I was running 1.218v or so IIRC. Was a good while ago though lol.

Need to try benching it again, I have it running at 1950/1200 core/clock @1.15v or so rn, would be interesting to see how it does with my 5960X (4.5Ghz/1.2v). Sadly I can’t push the CPU much harder because thermal limits with the setup I have right now.

I wish lol, see above. Must’ve been reading wrong, I was running the standard +200 for a clock of 1200MHz that Wattman gives you.

Those are still good clocks on low volts though. Back when I could bench at 2100mhz, I was running 1.35+ volts. I’d like to see if anyone has managed to clock past 2000 core on new drivers using MPT. That thing is still a bit of a mystery to me. It’s a shame AMD broke overclocking with Wattman, that used to be so simple.

1 Like

Oh damn, they can take that much voltage? I knew they could do 1.3v on water (assuming your temps are low enough, I currently have a single slim 360 rad for CPU/GPU so mine aren’t), I assume 1.35v is only for short bench runs?

I really had no idea how much voltage they can take, or more importantly, how much they SHOULD take, LOL! I was just upping the voltage until I topped out the core, then stepped it down until I could survive 3dmark stress tests, Timespy / Firestrike extreme. Not sure I’d daily drive that voltage, but I really know nothing about the cards limits. But for a limited duration, it probably doesn’t hurt. I hope! :smiley:

I’ll give heavy overclocking a try in a month or two when I upgrade to a 4k monitor & waterblock.

How much radiator should I have to cool an aggressively clocked Radeon VII? I’ve got an open loop with just my 1700X CPU right now and it peaks at about 63C with all cores at 100%. Currently using one thick 280mm radiator.

In theory I should never have both the GPU and CPU under heavy load at the same time… just cpu for work… and then gpu for gaming like The Outer Worlds.

1 Like

I think the Radeon VII can handle ridiculous abouts of power as long as the temps are held in check. Going up to 375 watts is a good start.

1 Like

Did someone say Radeon VII?!

5 Likes

I have a single slim 360 right now (before I had a slim 360 + 120), CPU hits the mid 60s rn, GPU hits 63C core/93C hotspot or so, eyeballing temps while looping Unigine Valley with my OC settings. I think that’s what it was doing at least, may have had a higher voltage tho?

I need to do a proper thermals/clocks test but I’m scared to stress both my CPU and GPU to 100% at the same time lmao. Once I have the monies I’m planning to get an Enthoo Luxe II and then hopefully run a 480 + 2 360s because hah overkill and also I’d like to pump more power through my CPU and lordy it’ll get hot doing that. But that’ll be a good long while yet, moar rads adds up to be very expensive, not just the rads themselves, but because I need fans for them all too.

There’s my setup after the latest rebuild:

Before that:

And back when it was on air:

@Den-Fi YOS! Also your photography is slightly better than mine… :thinking:

1 Like

I have a thick 420 rad (Alphacool UT60) for a monoblock + GPU, but when I built my AMD rig the focus was on looks. I’m usually a rad overkill guy though, and the VII is a hot card, like all AMD cards. I would recommend dual 360s for a rig like this usually, no less, but that also comes down to a ton of other factors (case, preferred noise levels, etc).

Had no choice for this build though, since it was going to be wall mounted. :smiley:

2 Likes

Looking pretty is indeed quite important, yours fuckin nailed it. Love the purple as well, tis one of my favorite colors and it doesn’t get enough love tbh, most lads go red/white/blue/green.

I totally don’t wanna rebuild my main rig again lol because I don’t actually need all those HDDs (and something’s up with either them or the SATA controller on my board, but my 2.5" SSD works fine?) and it was a good deal cleaner before… takes me most of a weekend to rebuild it though lol.

1 Like

Thanks man! Ease of building is one of the reason I went with that TT P3 case. Lots of people hate on Thermaltake, but that little thing is pretty versatile, and you can tear it down in minutes. As for storage, that thing has 11TB in it, LOL! There are 2 3TB HDDs in behind the motherboard, along with a pair of 2TB SSDs behind the radiator, and a 1TB NVME boot drive, all stuffed into a seriously small area. But it does lack radiator space for sure.

1 Like

Oh yeah, they’re amazing to build in. I dislike Thermaltake as a company but their Core line is very nice. I built in a P3 as well, rig for a friend with a 6700K and R9 290X, cooled by a custom loop with a single 280mm rad. Temps are fine and it’s had one maintenance session since December 2017 (was a Christmas gift, he was gaming on a 2011 MacBook Pro before that :eyes:), and a grand total of 0 issues (EK-ZMT + zip ties on stubbies is a worry-free combo tbh). Yeah not the most rad space, but it’s dope to see all your hardware and they are incredibly easy to build in. Probably the most affordable test bench out there too :rofl:. Dedicated test benches are quite expensive, a P3 or one of its siblings on its side would actually be a good option.

Nice builds guys. I may go for one of those TT P3 case’s in the future… Anyway based on what I see I’ll need to up my radiator game before I dare add my Radeon VII to the loop. My single Black Ice 280mm isn’t going to cut it.

Space is getting tight in my Cool Master Evo Haf cube case, but I’ve got space to add a good 120mm radiator on the back exhaust end. I just ordered another Nemesis GTX.

1 Like

I just got one for my creative daughter who also plays games, it was on sale for 500 bucks on black friday, nice price, I wish it would stay there. The rest of her parts come in next Monday so I have to wait…

3 Likes

Anyone got overclocking and undervolting to work on recent distro’s? Used to be able to adjust it a couple months ago with radeon-profile but now whenever i try to adjust something i get a hard freeze.
Got the kernel bits enabled etc, using Fedora 31.