R9 Fury Nitro won't go past 300MHz

As the title said, my fury nitro won’t go past 300MHz. I recently got the nitro replaced a month or so ago through a RMA. The previous one would also refuse to clock higher than 300MHz and the coil whine stopped occurring. The previous Fury died a week or so after the 300MHz issue and wouldn’t let the system power on with the GPU. I have reinstalled the driver a few times and nothing helped. Could you let me know what you think the issue is? Thanks.The GPU hasn’t gone past 46C even without its fans spinning. The PSU is a AX860. I’ve also noticed recently that when I open up a browser the screen goes blank for a second and the fans in my pc spin up quick for a second. I’m also curious if the PSU is killing the replacement or not.

Sounds like your PSU can not deliver the power the card requires.
Make sure all cables are connected (PSU and GPU side).

As R9 Fury owner, the 46°C idle without fans is perfectly normal.
Also: Does there happen to be a green LED on the card? If so, your GPU is in stand-by hinting at a faulty mainboard (been there, had that).

1 Like

First google result came up with this. So, might just be software.

https://community.amd.com/thread/218898

1 Like

It’s back and screaming again. So I guess it’s okay now. I did do a second fresh reinstall before your response @noenken. I will probably change the PSU like previously though about after the first one died. I’m well aware of the temperature range at idle for the Fury since I’ve had one for 1.5 years. No LED on the Nitro. If this one dies after I replace the PSU, it is probably the GPU MB. Thanks for the suggestions and help. @MazeFrame @noenken

2 Likes

Hopefully nothing dies. GL&HF

1 Like

Well, there is one for the super pursuit mode. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Nitros are not easy to kill, I have one myself.

1 Like

I had the exact same issue until I reinstalled my drivers. Be sure to do the clean install option.

1 Like

This was a very common driver problem on Fiji and Hawaii for a while. They finally fixed it apparently but I guess not. Also limited RAM speed.

2 Likes

OP also hasn’t stated if what is locked at 300MHz is the core clock or the memory.

Based on the issues, I believe it to be the core clock; 300Mhz is the resting base clock for this card.

1 Like

and yes its 300MHz and that memory sticks to 500MHz
also, early on my card gained 15% performance from bumping hertz from 1000 to 1050~, and these days it doesnt benefit that much from doing that

Out of curiosity, are you trying to use the Trixx overclocking software at all?

I’m doing a thread on overclocking my R9 Fury Nitro, and, while trying out different overclocking softwares, I found that Trixx has a bug which locks my card down to 300mhz. However, when I restart my computer, it resets itself.

1 Like

I had to use Afterburner. However, I found out that Trixx was the only way to OC the memory, so before it crashed I had to use Trixx and then switch to Afterburner.

@Calculatron @Dynamic_Gravity

Either of you try OverdriveNTool? Works with Vega pretty well and I know it’s been around longer than the uarch so might another option?

I have not. Is it a homebrew open-source type of program, or did a certain individual or company develop it?

I believe it’s a closed source free program. I find it works quite nicely.

Here is a sideways question.

… Does this work for Laptop discrete GPUs?

Did you over clock your card recently? This issue is common with the Fury cards and Overclocking.

I have no idea unfortunately.

Alas, I tried it on my desktop, and did not work, stating that the driver did not support changes to the memory frequencies - regardless of whether or not I tried to actually change the memory frequencies.

:frowning: